Diversity benefits all scientific disciplines, and a number of disciplines are addressing the current shortfall. NOVA Next contributor Vann R. Newkirk IIreports the story.
In other news:
- Scientists have discovered a way to annihilate every cell in a cancerous tumor.
- Students who learn about famous scientists’ struggles do better in school.
- Life wouldn’t exist if it wasn’t for cosmological inflation .
- Physicists need a complete theory of quantum gravity to understand black holes.
- These researchers helped uncovered the lead crisis in Flint .
What We’re Reading
- This caterpillar builds a helmet out of its own discarded heads . [National Geographic]
- By the time a baby is born, he or she is an experienced listener . [PRI’s The World]
- Retired soccer player Brandi Chastain has agreed to donate her brain to C.T.E. research . [The New York Times]
- The female libido pill announced last year has marginal benefit , according to a new study. [Scientific American]
- How much do cities spend on climate change adaptations ? These scientists looked into it. [Quartz]