In the far future, will astronomers be able to deduce the origins of the universe? NOVA Next contributor Sarah Scolesreports the story.
In other news:
- Thanks to a freak October rainstorm, Death Valley is now exploding with colorful blooms .
- Naked mole rats, once thought immune to cancer, have been found with tumors .
- Tiny laser-powered spacecraft could reach Alpha Centauri, the nearest star, in just 20 years.
- The search for Planet Nine—which astronomers claimed to have evidence of last month—has narrowed quickly.
What We’re Reading
- The grandson of the scientist who discovered Zika warned the world about the virus years ago. [Stat]
- Brazilian scientists are investigating mosquitoes that self-destruct when infected with Zika. [PRI’s The World]
- U.S. Marshals have been widely using fake cell phone towers to track suspects. Discover how cell phone networks really work in a recent episode of What The Physics . [USA Today and What The Physics]