What's so marvelous about Mars? Here are five facts about the Red Planet.
Five Facts About the Red Planet
Published: August 1, 2019
Onscreen: Five facts about Mars
1. Mars is about half the size of Earth
Diameter: ~4212 miles
Mass: ~1/10 the mass of Earth
Distance from the Sun: ~154 million miles
2. Mars is one of the most explored objects in our solar system. And it’s the only planet we’ve sent rovers to to study its landscape.
3. Mars’ soil and atmosphere look red because the iron content of the soil oxidizes, or rusts.
4. Billions of years ago, Mars was wetter, warmer, and had a thicker atmosphere.
5. Like Earth, Mars once had a molten metallic core that generated a magnetic field around the planet—causing auroras above Mars’ poles.
Learn more about Mars. Stream "The Planets: Mars" online or on the app.
Digital Producer: Ana Aceves
© WGBH Educational Foundation 2019