Links to Related Sites
- The Zimmerman Telegram
- Sent from German Foreign Minister Arthur Zimmermann to the German Minister of Mexico, this message had a great impact on American opinion and helped draw the United States into World War I. From the National Archives and Records Administration's Digital Classroom, these Web pages include teaching frameworks, a brief activity, and possible discussion topics. Also included is a brief historical overview and digitized images of the telegram.
- The Versailles Treaty
- This site includes the text of the famous peace treaty, signed by the Allies and Germany at the end of World War I. The site also includes timelines, maps, photos, political cartoons, and other World War I documents. It is maintained by Steve Schoenherr and resides in the History at USD section on the University of San Diego Web site.
- The Nation's Forum -- American Leaders Speak:
Recordings from World War I and the 1920 Election.
- Includes RealAudio and .wav recordings of speeches made by American leaders at the turn of the century. Speeches focus on issues and events surrounding the First World War and the subsequent presidential election of 1920. Speakers include: Warren G. Harding, James Cox, Calvin Coolidge, Franklin D. Roosevelt, Samuel Gompers, Henry Cabot Lodge, and John J. Pershing. "The Nation's Forum" is a collection from the Library of Congress' American Memory Web site.
- Images of World War I: French Posters, 1914-1920
- Access French posters, prints, and books relating to World War I. Taken from an exhibition at the Martin Museum of Art, Baylor University, Waco, Texas. Hosted by the Stephen F. Austin State University Department of History.
- The Great War and the Shaping of the 20th Century
- Companion Web site to the PBS series of the same name. Includes timelines, automated slide galleries, interviews with historians, plus more. Produced by KCET and BBC for PBS Online.
- The World War I Document Archive
- Collection of many documents and primary sources, including official papers, treaties, and memoirs. Also includes images and commentary articles. This Web site is hosted by Brigham Young University.
- The War Times Journal -- The Great War Series
- The Great War Series includes articles, images, primary sources, and maps. It is part of an online magazine devoted to military history, The War Times Journal.
- World War I -- Trenches on the Web
- A personal site containing a large number of worthwhile documents. Created and maintained by Mike Iavarone.
About the Series | Episodes | Timeline | Your Stories | Thematic Overview | Teacher's Guide
People's Century | WGBH | PBS Online | Search PBS | Feedback | Shop | ©