Recidivism rates are at almost 65% in New York, pointing to a continuous cycle of imprisonment for many. Our partners at MetroFocus talk to Flores Forbes about his new book called “Invisible Men: A Contemporary Slave Narrative in the Era of Mass Incarceration” about the difficult reality of re-entering society after incarceration and the stigma that formerly incarcerated men often face.
- Who Burnt the Bronx? “Decade of Fire” shows how thousands were displaced from 1970s fires
- A Nashville recovery home is providing jobs and support for women with a past
- In her memoir, NPR’s Aarti Shahani shares her father’s “American Nightmare” in Rikers Island
- Many Miami residents are one economic or natural disaster away from homelesssness
- Three Big Financial Pain Points for Americans — And How to Avoid Them