As an assistant professor at Harvard University, Anthony Jack has witnessed the challenging binary that low-income students at elite colleges experience as part of what he called “the privileged poor.” The concept is also the title of his new book, which explores how and why disadvantaged students are struggling at elite colleges. He speaks to MetroFocus about what those schools can do differently to help those students thrive.
- Who Burnt the Bronx? “Decade of Fire” shows how thousands were displaced from 1970s fires
- A Nashville recovery home is providing jobs and support for women with a past
- In her memoir, NPR’s Aarti Shahani shares her father’s “American Nightmare” in Rikers Island
- Many Miami residents are one economic or natural disaster away from homelesssness
- Three Big Financial Pain Points for Americans — And How to Avoid Them