- Music runs in the family, he’s the son of a trombonist and a voice teacher.
- The character of Rodrigo in Amazon’s Mozart in the Jungle was based, in part, on Dudamel. He also has made a guest appearance in the show!
- On 1 January 2017, Dudamel conducted the Vienna Philharmonic in their traditional New Year’s Day Concert. At the age of 35, he was the youngest guest conductor for this event. We aired this!
- His charity, The Gustavo Dudamel Foundation was created in 2012 with the goal of promoting access to music as a human right and catalyst for learning, integration, and social change.
- In addition to his day job with the LA Phil Dudamel leads the Bavarian Radio Symphony Orchestra in Munich, tours Europe with the Berlin Philharmonic, and takes the Vienna Philharmonic on a tour of the Americas, with concerts in New York’s Carnegie Hall, Mexico City’s Bellas Artes, Bogota’s Teatro Mayor, as well as the famed Teatro Colon in Buenos Aires.
Enjoy two incredible Dudamel performances below!