Premieres Tuesday, January 1 at 9:00 p.m. on PBS (check local listings)
Great Performances – From Vienna: The New Year’s Celebration 2019 continues the long-time tradition of ringing in the new year with the Vienna Philharmonic at the opulent 19th Century Musikverein music hall. Under the baton of guest conductor Christian Thielemann, the concert features favorite Strauss Family waltzes, as well as a celebration of the 150th anniversary of the Vienna State Opera on the city’s famed Ringstrasse. Downton Abbey’s Earl of Grantham Hugh Bonneville returns as host.
The Vienna Philharmonic’s traditional New Year’s program is the largest worldwide event in classical music, reaching millions of people annually through radio and television in over 80 countries. First broadcast in 1959, the concert has become a global New Year’s tradition.
Broadcast & Streaming Availability:
Premieres Tuesday, January 1, 2018, 2:30-4:00 p.m. on PBS (check local listings) with an encore performance 9:00-10:30 p.m. and on Friday, January 4 at 9-10:30 p.m.on PBS (check local listings). The broadcast will be available to stream the following day via pbs.org/gperf and PBS OTT apps.
• Johann Strauss (Jr.) –The Gypsy Baron, Overture
• Josef Strauss –The Dancer, French Polka
• Johann Strauss (Jr.) –Artists’ Life), Waltz
• Johann Strauss (Jr.) – The Bayadere, Quick Polka
• Johann Strauss (Jr.) –Eva Waltz
• Eduard Strauss – Opern-Soiree
• Johann Strauss (Jr.) – Csárdás from Knight Pasman
• Johann Strauss (Jr.) –Egyptian March
• Joseph Hellmesberger (Jr.)– Entr’act Waltz
• Johann Strauss (Jr.) –In Praise of Women
• Josef Strauss –Music of the Spheres), Waltz
• Johann Strauss (Jr.) – On the Double!, Quick Polka
• Johann Strauss (Jr.) –On the Beautiful Blue Danube, Waltz
• Johann Strauss (Sr.) – Radetzky March
Hugh Bonneville, host (best known as Robert, Earl of Grantham, in Masterpiece: Downton Abbey)
Christian Thielemann, conductor (principal conductor of the Staatskapelle Dresden, one of the world’s oldest orchestras)
From Vienna: The New Year’s Celebration 2019 is a production of Wiener Philharmoniker and ORF in association with THIRTEEN Productions LLC for WNET. For Great Performances, John Walker and Richard R. Schilling are producers; Bill O’Donnell is series producer; David Horn is executive producer.
Major funding for Great Performances is provided by The Joseph and Robert Cornell Memorial Foundation, the Anna-Maria and Stephen Kellen Arts Fund, Rosalind P. Walter, the LuEsther T. Mertz Charitable Trust, the Irene Diamond Fund, The Starr Foundation, the Kate W. Cassidy Foundation, the Thea Petschek Iervolino Foundation, The Agnes Varis Trust, The Phillip and Janice Levin Foundation, The Abra Prentice Foundation, Ellen and James S. Marcus and PBS. Exclusive corporate support for the concert is provided by Rolex.