Premieres Friday, August 26 at 9 p.m. ET on PBS (check local listings), pbs.org/gperf and the PBS Video app
Conducted for the first time by Grammy Award-winning Boston Symphony Orchestra music director Andris Nelsons, the Vienna Philharmonic’s annual summer night concert returns to the Schönbrunn Palace Gardens. Featuring French cellist Gautier Capuçon as a soloist performing Camille Saint-Säens’ Concerto for Cello No. 1, the orchestra also performs a selection of works from classical composers such as Ludwig van Beethoven, Johann Strauss, Mykola Lysenko and more. Great Performances: Vienna Philharmonic Summer Night Concert 2022 premieres Friday, August 26 at 9 p.m. ET on PBS (check local listings), pbs.org/gperf and the PBS Video app.
- Ludwig van Beethoven – “Leonore” Overture No. 3
- Mykola Lysenko – “Farewell” Waltz in C minor
- Camille Saint-Saëns – Concerto for Cello and Orchestra No.1
- Myroslav Skoryk – “Melody” version for cello and orchestra
- Georges Enescu – Romanian Rhapsody No. 1
- Bedřich Smetana – “The Bartered Bride” Overture
- Antonin Dvorák – “Slavonic Dance” in E minor
- Johann Strauss Jr. – “Viennese Blood” Waltz
- Andris Nelsons, three-time Grammy Award-winning music director of the Boston Symphony Orchestra and Leipzig Gewandhaus Orchestra.
- Gautier Capuçon, French cellist and founder and leader of a program at the Fondation Louis Vuitton in Paris designed to promote six young cellists from around the world to study together and perform monthly public concerts.
- Last year, Gautier Capuçon brought 27 music and dance students on tour with him to perform in 19 concerts as part of his musical odyssey, “Un été en France.”
- The Vienna Philharmonic has an annual summer residency at the Salzburg Festival and performs more than 50 concerts a year on its international tours.
- The Vienna Philharmonic has performed its Summer Night Concert at the Schönbrunn Palace Gardens in Vienna since 2004.
Throughout its nearly 50-year history on PBS, Great Performances has provided an unparalleled showcase of the best in all genres of the performing arts, serving as America’s most prestigious and enduring broadcaster of cultural programming. Showcasing a diverse range of artists from around the world, the series has earned 67 Emmy Awards and six Peabody Awards. The Great Performances website hosts exclusive videos, interviews, photos, full episodes and more. The series is produced by The WNET Group.
Great Performances: Vienna Philharmonic Summer Night Concert 2022 is a production of Wiener Philharmoniker and ORF in association with The WNET Group. For Great Performances, John Walker is writer and Bill Kabel producer; Bill O’Donnell is series producer and David Horn is executive producer.
Support for Great Performances: Vienna Philharmonic Summer Night Concert 2022 was provided by Rolex. Series funding for Great Performances was provided by The Joseph & Robert Cornell Memorial Foundation, the Anna-Maria and Stephen Kellen Arts Fund, the LuEsther T. Mertz Charitable Trust, Sue and Edgar Wachenheim III, the Abra Prentice Foundation LLC, Jody and John Arnhold, The Starr Foundation, The Philip and Janice Levin Foundation, the Kate W. Cassidy Foundation, the Thea Petschek Iervolino Foundation, the Seton Melvin Charitable Trust, the Estate of Worthington Mayo-Smith, the Jack Lawrence Trust, Ellen and James S. Marcus, and Lorraine A. Egan and the late Richard T. Egan.