Ways to Make Your Community More Walkable
These are some thoughts on ways you can help make your community more walkable.
- Organize a neighborhood cleanup day or simply take a bag and pick up trash along your normal walking routes.
- Trim hedges or trees that might block sidewalks or obscure a pedestrian's view at a crosswalk; ask your neighbors to do the same (or offer to do it for them).
- Be a considerate driver-set an example by driving at safe speeds in neighborhoods, letting pedestrians cross at intersections, and not stopping in crosswalks. Urge family and friends to do the same.
- Notify the animal control officer of scary dogs, and the police of suspicious activity.
- Plant trees and flowers if you have property abutting sidewalks or trails. Or adopt and care for a public space or garden (many towns encourage this) along walking routes.
- Report streetlights or signal lights that are out to the department of public works.
- If you have sidewalk on your property, set an example by quickly clearing it of snow or other debris.