Visiting Shaw Bulletin Board
Revitalizing Your City
1. Duke Ellington graduated from which high school?
Dunbar High School
Armstrong High School
The Sumner School
He never graduated from high school.
2. What did singer Pearl Bailey call the U Street of the 1920's?
an entertainer's dreamland
a childhood playground
the Black Broadway
the Southern Harlem
3. Why did so many black teachers with doctoral degrees teach at Dunbar High School?
They couldn't get well paid, professional jobs anywhere else.
the federal government paid black and white teachers in Washington the same salary.
Dunbar offered college level courses.
both A and B
4. The instrument everybody had in their homes was
5. Who said "Music is my Mistress and she plays second fiddle to no one."
Jelly Roll Morton
Dr. Billy Taylor
6. What caused the decline of the Shaw neighborhood after the 1940s?
the desegregation of the 1950s
the riots after the 1968 assassination of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
the drug epidemics of the 1970s
all of the above
7. The U Street come back started with
the construction of the Reeves Center Municipal Building
a new metro station
restoration of some of the historic buildings in the area
all of the above
8. The Howard Theater in Washington DC opened 20 years before New York's Apollo began featuring black performers.
9. The Williams couple was brought together by singing what Ellington tune?
I let a Song Go Out of My Heart
Ring Dem Bells
10. In Ellington's time, students at Dunbar High School...
scored higher on standardized tests than at several white DC schools.
were urged to put schoolwork ahead of sports and extracurricular activities.
attended Ivy League colleges as well as Howard University
All of the above.