rights social vision of the sanctity of labor and his penchant for technological vision of
material innovation intersected, again, in the building complex he designed
for S.C. Johnson & Son, Inc., beginning in 1936. The first phase of the project
was the Administration Building, completed in Racine, Wisconsin, in 1939.
Eleven years later Wright built the companys Research Laboratory Tower.
Both projects illustrate Wrights integration of the technological and
experiential dimensions of architecture. The Administration Building is entered through a sequence of low,
dim spaces from which one emerges into a grandly-scaled room lit from above.
Sunlight filters into the space through bundled planes of glass pyrex tubes, which
allude to the companys investment in chemical research. Where
conventional buildings would have had a heavy cornice, Wright bridged the gap
between wall and roof with a continuous band of glass. The effect of the
filtered daylight is one of wondrous luminosity, which transforms the ordinary workspace into a kind of sanctuary.