Health and Happiness
- Dont just do something, sit there! Resist the urge to bustle and putz. Give yourself frequent chances to actually hear yourself think, and to enjoy your surroundings.
- Walk, dont run. A mile of walking burns about as many calories as a mile of jogging, and slowing down your pace will soothe your psyche.
- Prevention is the cheapest and best health insurance. Get an annual checkup (even frugal fanatics agree this is worth the $$). Take care of your body by eating and sleeping right, and stop smoking.
- Stop equating the amount of fun and pleasure you get with the amount of money you spend to get it. Sit down and make a list of 25 things you like to do that cost little or no money, and keep it where you can see it every day.
- Understand and practice the economy of laziness. Give in when youre tempted to NOT put up Christmas lights, NOT cook like Martha Stewart, NOT keep your car clean and polished, NOT have a weed- and bug-free lawn.
- The next time you find yourself drawn to the mall to shop for more stuff, call or write a friend youve lost touch with instead. Youll conserve money and friendships.
- Instead of spending your time and energy buying and taking care of stuff, volunteer to feed the hungry, care for the suffering, visit the lonely or mentor a child.
- Be happy with what you have. If you make a habit of thinking in terms of what you have, rather than what you dont, you may well find that youve got enough.