Mystery Crystal Cross
The current chief of the Apalachee Tribe has a crystal cross that was discovered at an archeological dig of an old Spanish mission. He wants to know if it could possibly have been made centuries ago by his own ancestors.
About 15 years ago, archeologists at the Mission San Luis in Tallahassee, Florida made an astonishing discovery. In the process of excavating several hundred bodies at the site of this 17th century Spanish mission, they unearthed a beautiful and undamaged glass-like cross.
The current Chief of the Apalachee Tribe says his ancestors once lived near the mission, but fled when British forces raided in the early 1700s.
History Detectives journeys to Florida to examine the Spanish efforts to proselytize among native tribes and explore the fusing of native and Christian ideologies and symbols into a unique version of New World Catholicism.
- Also with Tukufu Zuberi Exercise Records What role did these records play in the sculpting of america's fixation with fitness?
- Also with Tukufu Zuberi Nesbit Portrait Is this portrait a lost masterpiece by one of America's greatest artists?
- Related Investigation Calf Creek Arrow Is this arrow found in a bison skull just another hoax or an incredible archeological discovery?
- Also with Tukufu Zuberi Lindbergh Engine Could a 24-year-old have single-handedly built the engine for Lindbergh's plane?
- Also in Season 4 McKinley Casket Flag Did this flag once drape the casket of President William McKinley?
- Also in Season 4 Cleveland Electric Car What happened to the electric street car network in Cleveland?
This is a place for opinions, comments, questions and discussion; a place where viewers of History Detectives can express their points of view and connect with others who value history. We ask that posters be polite and respectful of all opinions. History Detectives reserves the right to delete comments that don’t conform to this conduct. We will not respond to every post, but will do our best to answer specific questions, or address an error.