Mystery Crystal Cross
Support provided by:
The current chief of the Apalachee Tribe has a crystal cross that was discovered at an archeological dig of an old Spanish mission. He wants to know if it could possibly have been made centuries ago by his own ancestors.
About 15 years ago, archeologists at the Mission San Luis in Tallahassee, Florida made an astonishing discovery. In the process of excavating several hundred bodies at the site of this 17th century Spanish mission, they unearthed a beautiful and undamaged glass-like cross.
The current Chief of the Apalachee Tribe says his ancestors once lived near the mission, but fled when British forces raided in the early 1700s.
History Detectives journeys to Florida to examine the Spanish efforts to proselytize among native tribes and explore the fusing of native and Christian ideologies and symbols into a unique version of New World Catholicism.
- Also in this episode Survivor Camera Did this antique camera save a Polish Jew during the Holocaust?
- Also in Beginnings: up to 1620 Atocha Spanish Silver What are these markings on a silver bar discovered in the wreck of a Spanish ship?
- Related Investigation Liberia Letter Does this letter help to trace one freed man’s dream to return to Africa?
- Related Investigation Frank Zappa Collage Is the artist who created this piece Frank Zappa?
- Also in Season 4 Highlander Badge Could an amateur treasure diver really have found a possible Revolutionary War artifact?
- Also with Tukufu Zuberi Beatles Autographs Are these genuine Beatles signatures?
This is a place for opinions, comments, questions and discussion; a place where viewers of History Detectives can express their points of view and connect with others who value history. We ask that posters be polite and respectful of all opinions. History Detectives reserves the right to delete comments that don’t conform to this conduct. We will not respond to every post, but will do our best to answer specific questions, or address an error.
- Submit your StoryDo you have an object with a mystery? Submit your story now.
- Latest CommentIt turns out that this collage was sold last fall: http://www.worthpoint.com/wort... I wonder if it would be possible to contact the buyer by way of the auction house about getting a print made. (9 months ago)
- Twitterremember this investigation with @TukufuZuberi @elyseluray Tonight they reunite! Let us know your thoughts! @PBS http://t.co/4KMnc27K (1 year ago)
- FacebookCongrats on your exhibit, TZ! Here's a Washington Post article about the exhibit, everyone, and the great story TZ and Elyse did on his "Our Colored Heroes" story. http://tinyurl.com/mzpuyo8 http://www.pbs.org/opb/historydetectives/investigation/our-colored-heroes/ (9 months ago)