Mystery Crystal Cross
Support provided by:
The current chief of the Apalachee Tribe has a crystal cross that was discovered at an archeological dig of an old Spanish mission. He wants to know if it could possibly have been made centuries ago by his own ancestors.
About 15 years ago, archeologists at the Mission San Luis in Tallahassee, Florida made an astonishing discovery. In the process of excavating several hundred bodies at the site of this 17th century Spanish mission, they unearthed a beautiful and undamaged glass-like cross.
The current Chief of the Apalachee Tribe says his ancestors once lived near the mission, but fled when British forces raided in the early 1700s.
History Detectives journeys to Florida to examine the Spanish efforts to proselytize among native tribes and explore the fusing of native and Christian ideologies and symbols into a unique version of New World Catholicism.
- Also with Tukufu Zuberi Japanese Carved Cane What can the message on this cane expose about life behind barbed wire in World War II America?
- Also in this episode Alcoholics Anonymous Letter Is this letter proof of one man's contribution to this secretive society?
- Related Investigation 1856 Mormon Tale Is this tattered book a true account of female slavery in the old West?
- Related Investigation Lewis & Clark's Cane Was this family heirloom a gift from the famous explorers Lewis and Clark?
- Also with Tukufu Zuberi Transatlantic Cable How did this twisted fragment of metal spark a communications revolution?
- Also in Season 4 Calhoun Books Are these the books of the famed intellectual architect of the Confederacy?
This is a place for opinions, comments, questions and discussion; a place where viewers of History Detectives can express their points of view and connect with others who value history. We ask that posters be polite and respectful of all opinions. History Detectives reserves the right to delete comments that don’t conform to this conduct. We will not respond to every post, but will do our best to answer specific questions, or address an error.
Anyone wishing to submit an artifact for investigation should do so through Submit a Story.
- Submit your StoryDo you have an object with a mystery? Submit your story now.
- Latest CommentWhat is this glorifying the firearm (which is a semi-automatic by the way) of a criminal? (2 days ago)
- Twitterremember this investigation with @TukufuZuberi @elyseluray Tonight they reunite! Let us know your thoughts! @PBS http://t.co/4KMnc27K (7 months ago)
- FacebookSome wisdom as the day draws to a close. Like my page for more conversations. Enjoy your evening. Peace, Tukufu. (15 hours ago)