Our Colored Heroes
Support provided by:
Host Tukufu Zuberi switched roles for this story and brought a question of his own to History Detectives.
Tukufu collects posters featuring African Americans in combat. One in particular intrigues him. Titled Our Colored Heroes, the poster tells an incredible World War I story. A raiding party of more than 20 Germans attacked two African American doughboys on sentry duty. The poster quotes General Pershing who praises the two colored sentries who ‘continued fighting after receiving wounds and despite the use of grenades by a superior force.’
Did all of this actually happen? And why was this poster made? Tukufu, along with fellow History Detectives host Elyse Luray track down the truth, and call on the insight of U.S. Senator Charles Schumer to answer Tukufu’s question.
Tukufu’s story “Our Colored Heroes” struck a chord with many of you. Several asked how they could join in the effort to honor the person central to Tukufu’s poster, WWI Sgt. Henry Johnson.
In his research Tukufu learned that US Senator Charles Schumer of New York is asking military leaders to posthumously present a Medal of Honor to Sgt. Johnson.
“Sergeant Henry Johnson’s heroic tale is inspiring a nation, and it’s vital that our military leaders and the President finally award Sgt. Henry Johnson this long overdue Medal of Honor,” said Schumer.
Since our story aired the Senator has added a petition to his website. People who want to support this effort can e-sign the petition here.
Special thanks to the Department of Defense and Arlington National Cemetery. Additional research provided by Tiffini Bowers.
3260 South Street
Philadelphia, PA 19104
Society of Illustrators, American
Museum of Illustration
128 East 63rd Street
New York, NY 10065
- Also with Elyse Luray King Kong Camera Was this old movie camera used to film the original version of King Kong?
- Also with Tukufu Zuberi Lincoln Oath Was this note penned by Abraham Lincoln?
- Related Investigation Teddy Roosevelt War Club What could this strange object have to do with Teddy Roosevelt and his run for a third term presidency?
- Also with Elyse Luray Cherokee Bible What can this bible written in Cherokee tell us about one of the darkest chapters in Indian history?
- Related Investigation Hot Town Poster What role did this striking poster play in the explosive events of 1960s America?
- Also in Emerging Modern America: 1890-1930 Lubin Photos What do these photo albums reveal about the birth of the silver screen?
This is a place for opinions, comments, questions and discussion; a place where viewers of History Detectives can express their points of view and connect with others who value history. We ask that posters be polite and respectful of all opinions. History Detectives reserves the right to delete comments that don’t conform to this conduct. We will not respond to every post, but will do our best to answer specific questions, or address an error.
Anyone wishing to submit an artifact for investigation should do so through Submit a Story.
- Submit your StoryDo you have an object from an Emerging Modern America?
- Latest Commentthat's unique, if anyone has anything similar to this, then you should do what i do, share your artwork on Art Radio it is one the best up and coming social media platforms for musicians and artists. (1 day ago)
- Twitterremember this investigation with @TukufuZuberi @elyseluray Tonight they reunite! Let us know your thoughts! @PBS http://t.co/4KMnc27K (7 months ago)
- FacebookHow much do you think it will be worth in 50 years? (1 day ago)