Our contributor inherited a peculiar object from his father: a jerry-rigged ski boot with a magnetic metal brick bolted to the bottom.
In the 1960s, his father worked as an engineer for Westinghouse, which played a role in the space program.
Could this be the prototype for a NASA space boot? The magnet seems to have several layers and wires weaving throughout. The heel of the boot contains a plug.
History Detectives finds out what place this boot has in space history.
- Also with Elyse Luray Civil War Soldier Photo Is this the photo of a Civil War soldier actually a woman in disguise?
- Related Investigation Howard Hughes Invention Was this oil drilling device really a Howard Hughes invention?
- Also with Elyse Luray Highlander Badge Could an amateur treasure diver really have found a possible Revolutionary War artifact?
- Also with Elyse Luray Houdini Poster Could these be original theatre posters of the greatest magician on earth?
- Related Investigation Civil War Submarine Is this submarine an example of new technology developed by the Confederates during the Civil War?
- Also in Season 8 Mussolini's Dagger Did a World War II GI return home with Mussolini's dagger?
This is a place for opinions, comments, questions and discussion; a place where viewers of History Detectives can express their points of view and connect with others who value history. We ask that posters be polite and respectful of all opinions. History Detectives reserves the right to delete comments that don’t conform to this conduct. We will not respond to every post, but will do our best to answer specific questions, or address an error.