Fifteen years ago, country music star and History Detectives fan Clint Black received a crumbling, faded scrapbook as a gift from his wife. The cover reads “1909” and inside Clint found hundreds of clippings for lost and wanted men from the early 20th century.
The antiques dealer who sold it to Clint’s wife says the book once belonged to the Sheriff of Leavenworth, KS. Clint asks History Detectives host Elyse Luray to find out the purpose behind this book and more about the Sheriff who used it.
Viewer Chriss Harper wrote to us after we aired and told us his father once owned the book that Clint Black now owns. Read the full story in our blogpost and check out the fantastic images he sent us in the slideshow below.
Leavenworth County Historical Society
1128 5th Avenue
Leavenworth, KS 66048
First City Museum
743 Delaware Street
Leavenworth, KS 66048
Leavenworth Police Department from 1910
- Also with Elyse Luray Front Street Blockhouse Did this unassuming house protect an American colony from attack almost 300 years ago?
- Also with Elyse Luray Grace Kelly Car Is this the car driven by an actress turned princess, which would give it a place in cinematic history?
- Also in Emerging Modern America: 1890-1930 Houdini Poster Could these be original theatre posters of the greatest magician on earth?
- Also with Elyse Luray Pebble in the Sand Is this rock found on a beach a link to an ancient civilization or just another pebble in the sand?
- Related Investigation Slave Banjo Is this the only surviving banjo carried by former slaves following Emancipation?
- Also in Season 10 Continental Club Card What secrets can this business card reveal about glamour and vice in 1930s Los Angeles?
This is a place for opinions, comments, questions and discussion; a place where viewers of History Detectives can express their points of view and connect with others who value history. We ask that posters be polite and respectful of all opinions. History Detectives reserves the right to delete comments that don’t conform to this conduct. We will not respond to every post, but will do our best to answer specific questions, or address an error.