Support provided by:
Fifteen years ago, country music star and History Detectives fan Clint Black received a crumbling, faded scrapbook as a gift from his wife. The cover reads “1909” and inside Clint found hundreds of clippings for lost and wanted men from the early 20th century.
The antiques dealer who sold it to Clint’s wife says the book once belonged to the Sheriff of Leavenworth, KS. Clint asks History Detectives host Elyse Luray to find out the purpose behind this book and more about the Sheriff who used it.
Viewer Chriss Harper wrote to us after we aired and told us his father once owned the book that Clint Black now owns. Read the full story in our blogpost and check out the fantastic images he sent us in the slideshow below.
Leavenworth County Historical Society
1128 5th Avenue
Leavenworth, KS 66048
First City Museum
743 Delaware Street
Leavenworth, KS 66048
Leavenworth Police Department from 1910
- Related Investigation Prison Plaque Were convicted felons responsible for bringing peace to Western Europe during World War I?
- Also in Emerging Modern America: 1890-1930 Spybook What does this little black book reveal about spying on the home front during World War I?
- Related Investigation Marshall House Flag Did this piece of fabric come from a flag that cost a Union colonel his life?
- Also with Elyse Luray Jigsaw Puzzle Does this puzzle depict a real event - women playing contact sports in the late 19th century?
- Also in Emerging Modern America: 1890-1930 PsychoPhone Did Thomas Edison make a machine to unlock the secrets of the dead?
- Also with Elyse Luray Theremin How did this strange instrument help spark a rock n’ roll revolution?
This is a place for opinions, comments, questions and discussion; a place where viewers of History Detectives can express their points of view and connect with others who value history. We ask that posters be polite and respectful of all opinions. History Detectives reserves the right to delete comments that don’t conform to this conduct. We will not respond to every post, but will do our best to answer specific questions, or address an error.
- Submit your StoryDo you have an object from an Emerging Modern America?
- Latest CommentIt turns out that this collage was sold last fall: http://www.worthpoint.com/wort... I wonder if it would be possible to contact the buyer by way of the auction house about getting a print made. (9 months ago)
- Twitterremember this investigation with @TukufuZuberi @elyseluray Tonight they reunite! Let us know your thoughts! @PBS http://t.co/4KMnc27K (1 year ago)
- FacebookCongrats on your exhibit, TZ! Here's a Washington Post article about the exhibit, everyone, and the great story TZ and Elyse did on his "Our Colored Heroes" story. http://tinyurl.com/mzpuyo8 http://www.pbs.org/opb/historydetectives/investigation/our-colored-heroes/ (9 months ago)