Our contributor inherited a peculiar object from his father: a jerry-rigged ski boot with a magnetic metal brick bolted to the bottom.
In the 1960s, his father worked as an engineer for Westinghouse, which played a role in the space program.
Could this be the prototype for a NASA space boot? The magnet seems to have several layers and wires weaving throughout. The heel of the boot contains a plug.
History Detectives finds out what place this boot has in space history.
- Also with Elyse Luray Blueprint Special Did this record play a dramatic role in the Allied victory during the Second World War?
- Related Investigation Manhattan Project Letter Did this letter help persuade President Harry S. Truman to change policy in the post war era?
- Also with Elyse Luray General Lee's Farewell Address Could this be a signed copy of one of the most famous documents in the history of the Civil War?
- Also with Elyse Luray Dutch Colonial Home What role did these menacing forts play in the settling of this part of the West?
- Also in Season 8 Diana How did this alleged lesbian autobiography escape censorship in the 1930’s?
- Also in Season 8 Iwo Jima Map What role did this map play in one of World War II's fiercest battles?
This is a place for opinions, comments, questions and discussion; a place where viewers of History Detectives can express their points of view and connect with others who value history. We ask that posters be polite and respectful of all opinions. History Detectives reserves the right to delete comments that don’t conform to this conduct. We will not respond to every post, but will do our best to answer specific questions, or address an error.