Our contributor inherited a peculiar object from his father: a jerry-rigged ski boot with a magnetic metal brick bolted to the bottom.
In the 1960s, his father worked as an engineer for Westinghouse, which played a role in the space program.
Could this be the prototype for a NASA space boot? The magnet seems to have several layers and wires weaving throughout. The heel of the boot contains a plug.
History Detectives finds out what place this boot has in space history.
- Also in Vietnam Era: 1960-1980 Vietnam War Diary Why did this story capture international interest?
- Also with Elyse Luray Calf Creek Arrow Is this arrow found in a bison skull just another hoax or an incredible archeological discovery?
- Also with Elyse Luray Liberty Bell Pin Was one of America’s most iconic symbols melted down into a mere memento?
- Also with Elyse Luray St Valentine's Day Massacre Was this weapon fired in one of the nation's most infamous crimes?
- Related Investigation Baker's Gold What role did these unusual drawings play in one of the largest mass migrations in American history?
- Also in Season 8 Mussolini's Dagger Did a World War II GI return home with Mussolini's dagger?
This is a place for opinions, comments, questions and discussion; a place where viewers of History Detectives can express their points of view and connect with others who value history. We ask that posters be polite and respectful of all opinions. History Detectives reserves the right to delete comments that don’t conform to this conduct. We will not respond to every post, but will do our best to answer specific questions, or address an error.