Our contributor inherited a peculiar object from his father: a jerry-rigged ski boot with a magnetic metal brick bolted to the bottom.
In the 1960s, his father worked as an engineer for Westinghouse, which played a role in the space program.
Could this be the prototype for a NASA space boot? The magnet seems to have several layers and wires weaving throughout. The heel of the boot contains a plug.
History Detectives finds out what place this boot has in space history.
- Also with Elyse Luray Chicago Clock What role did this clock play in keeping 19th century America running on time?
- Also with Elyse Luray Galleon Shipwreck Is this a piece of treasure from a Spanish galleon washed up on an Oregon beach?
- Also with Elyse Luray Independence Trumpet Is a Pennsylvania man's trumpet somehow tied to the Revolutionary War?
- Also in Season 8 Duke Ellington Plates What is the story behind the printing plates for this famous Jazz song?
- Related Investigation N.E.A.R Device Was this device invented to help Americans believe they could survive a Soviet nuclear attack?
- Also in Season 8 St Valentine's Day Massacre Was this weapon fired in one of the nation's most infamous crimes?
This is a place for opinions, comments, questions and discussion; a place where viewers of History Detectives can express their points of view and connect with others who value history. We ask that posters be polite and respectful of all opinions. History Detectives reserves the right to delete comments that don’t conform to this conduct. We will not respond to every post, but will do our best to answer specific questions, or address an error.