Our contributor inherited a peculiar object from his father: a jerry-rigged ski boot with a magnetic metal brick bolted to the bottom.
In the 1960s, his father worked as an engineer for Westinghouse, which played a role in the space program.
Could this be the prototype for a NASA space boot? The magnet seems to have several layers and wires weaving throughout. The heel of the boot contains a plug.
History Detectives finds out what place this boot has in space history.
- Also with Elyse Luray Independence Trumpet Is a Pennsylvania man's trumpet somehow tied to the Revolutionary War?
- Also in Season 8 Korean War Letter What does this letter reveal about a forgotten act of heroism during the final days of the Korean War?
- Also in Season 8 War Dog letter The military put great effort into a new War Dogs program during WWII. What went wrong on Cat Island?
- Related Investigation Lubin Photos What do these photo albums reveal about the birth of the silver screen?
- Also with Elyse Luray Mouse Toy Could this tiny toy labeled 'Micky' be the original Mickey Mouse?
- Related Investigation 3D Cuban Missile Crisis Did this portable projection screen help save the Free World?
This is a place for opinions, comments, questions and discussion; a place where viewers of History Detectives can express their points of view and connect with others who value history. We ask that posters be polite and respectful of all opinions. History Detectives reserves the right to delete comments that don’t conform to this conduct. We will not respond to every post, but will do our best to answer specific questions, or address an error.