Our contributor inherited a peculiar object from his father: a jerry-rigged ski boot with a magnetic metal brick bolted to the bottom.
In the 1960s, his father worked as an engineer for Westinghouse, which played a role in the space program.
Could this be the prototype for a NASA space boot? The magnet seems to have several layers and wires weaving throughout. The heel of the boot contains a plug.
History Detectives finds out what place this boot has in space history.
- Also in Season 8 Copperhead Cane How did this cane inspire a fiery political movement that threatened Lincoln's presidency?
- Also with Elyse Luray Civil War Cannon How did the contents of this glass tube impact the first hours of the Civil War?
- Also with Elyse Luray Crazy Horse Photo Is this the only photograph of a Native American legend?
- Also with Elyse Luray Cannon House Could this family home once have been the headquarters of the kidnapper and slave trader Patty Cannon?
- Also in Season 8 Lost City of Gold What can these carved letters reveal about the first explorers to visit the American Southwest?
- Also in Season 8 Diana How did this alleged lesbian autobiography escape censorship in the 1930’s?
This is a place for opinions, comments, questions and discussion; a place where viewers of History Detectives can express their points of view and connect with others who value history. We ask that posters be polite and respectful of all opinions. History Detectives reserves the right to delete comments that don’t conform to this conduct. We will not respond to every post, but will do our best to answer specific questions, or address an error.