Our contributor inherited a peculiar object from his father: a jerry-rigged ski boot with a magnetic metal brick bolted to the bottom.
In the 1960s, his father worked as an engineer for Westinghouse, which played a role in the space program.
Could this be the prototype for a NASA space boot? The magnet seems to have several layers and wires weaving throughout. The heel of the boot contains a plug.
History Detectives finds out what place this boot has in space history.
- Also with Elyse Luray Blueprint Special Did this record play a dramatic role in the Allied victory during the Second World War?
- Also in Season 8 Copperhead Cane How did this cane inspire a fiery political movement that threatened Lincoln's presidency?
- Also with Elyse Luray Szyk Picture Could these be early drawings of America's most influential political cartoonist?
- Related Investigation Manhattan Project Letter Did this letter help persuade President Harry S. Truman to change policy in the post war era?
- Related Investigation N.E.A.R Device Was this device invented to help Americans believe they could survive a Soviet nuclear attack?
- Also in Season 8 Lookout Mountain Painting What can this painting tell us about a turning point in the Civil War?
This is a place for opinions, comments, questions and discussion; a place where viewers of History Detectives can express their points of view and connect with others who value history. We ask that posters be polite and respectful of all opinions. History Detectives reserves the right to delete comments that don’t conform to this conduct. We will not respond to every post, but will do our best to answer specific questions, or address an error.