Our contributor inherited a peculiar object from his father: a jerry-rigged ski boot with a magnetic metal brick bolted to the bottom.
In the 1960s, his father worked as an engineer for Westinghouse, which played a role in the space program.
Could this be the prototype for a NASA space boot? The magnet seems to have several layers and wires weaving throughout. The heel of the boot contains a plug.
History Detectives finds out what place this boot has in space history.
- Also with Elyse Luray WWII Landing Craft Did this vessel land tanks on the beaches of France during World War II?
- Also in Vietnam Era: 1960-1980 Bob Dylan Guitar Is this the guitar Bob Dylan played at the Newport Folk Festival in 1965?
- Related Investigation Manhattan Project Letter Did this letter help persuade President Harry S. Truman to change policy in the post war era?
- Also with Elyse Luray Wartime Baseball Is this baseball evidence of an unusual ballgame that took place during segregation?
- Also in Season 8 Korean War Letter What does this letter reveal about a forgotten act of heroism during the final days of the Korean War?
- Also with Elyse Luray Lost Gold Ship Is this wreck in Alaska the remains of a steamship carrying miners to the great Klondike Gold Rush of 1897?
This is a place for opinions, comments, questions and discussion; a place where viewers of History Detectives can express their points of view and connect with others who value history. We ask that posters be polite and respectful of all opinions. History Detectives reserves the right to delete comments that don’t conform to this conduct. We will not respond to every post, but will do our best to answer specific questions, or address an error.