Our contributor inherited a peculiar object from his father: a jerry-rigged ski boot with a magnetic metal brick bolted to the bottom.
In the 1960s, his father worked as an engineer for Westinghouse, which played a role in the space program.
Could this be the prototype for a NASA space boot? The magnet seems to have several layers and wires weaving throughout. The heel of the boot contains a plug.
History Detectives finds out what place this boot has in space history.
- Also with Elyse Luray Drone Propellor Could this propellor have powered a top secret weapon that transformed modern warfare?
- Also with Elyse Luray Chicago Clock What role did this clock play in keeping 19th century America running on time?
- Related Investigation Manhattan Project Patent Was this drawing part of America's secret plans to fuel the atomic bomb?
- Also with Elyse Luray Our Colored Heroes Is this a WWI recruitment poster... or something else?
- Related Investigation Transatlantic Cable How did this twisted fragment of metal spark a communications revolution?
- Also in Season 8 Andrew Jackson's Mouth How was this wood fragment connected to one of the most celebrated political protests of the 19th century?
This is a place for opinions, comments, questions and discussion; a place where viewers of History Detectives can express their points of view and connect with others who value history. We ask that posters be polite and respectful of all opinions. History Detectives reserves the right to delete comments that don’t conform to this conduct. We will not respond to every post, but will do our best to answer specific questions, or address an error.