Our contributor inherited a peculiar object from his father: a jerry-rigged ski boot with a magnetic metal brick bolted to the bottom.
In the 1960s, his father worked as an engineer for Westinghouse, which played a role in the space program.
Could this be the prototype for a NASA space boot? The magnet seems to have several layers and wires weaving throughout. The heel of the boot contains a plug.
History Detectives finds out what place this boot has in space history.
- Also in Season 8 Lauste Film Clip How is this odd strip of film connected to the invention of talking movies?
- Related Investigation 3D Cuban Missile Crisis Did this portable projection screen help save the Free World?
- Also with Elyse Luray Drone Propellor Could this propellor have powered a top secret weapon that transformed modern warfare?
- Related Investigation Coca Cola Trade Card Could this card be a unique piece of early Coca-Cola advertising?
- Also in Season 8 Special Agent Five How did this tale of robbery and murder help FBI director J. Edgar Hoover consolidate his power?
- Also with Elyse Luray Civil War Soldier Photo Is this the photo of a Civil War soldier actually a woman in disguise?
This is a place for opinions, comments, questions and discussion; a place where viewers of History Detectives can express their points of view and connect with others who value history. We ask that posters be polite and respectful of all opinions. History Detectives reserves the right to delete comments that don’t conform to this conduct. We will not respond to every post, but will do our best to answer specific questions, or address an error.