Our contributor inherited a peculiar object from his father: a jerry-rigged ski boot with a magnetic metal brick bolted to the bottom.
In the 1960s, his father worked as an engineer for Westinghouse, which played a role in the space program.
Could this be the prototype for a NASA space boot? The magnet seems to have several layers and wires weaving throughout. The heel of the boot contains a plug.
History Detectives finds out what place this boot has in space history.
- Related Investigation Moon Museum Was work by major artists, including Andy Warhol, smuggled to the moon?
- Also with Elyse Luray 1775 Almanac What do these crumbling pages reveal about divided loyalties during the American Revolution?
- Also with Elyse Luray Lafayette China Did the Marquis de Lafayette give this china set to the popular wife of the Patriot Mayor?
- Also with Elyse Luray Lost Gold Ship Is this wreck in Alaska the remains of a steamship carrying miners to the great Klondike Gold Rush of 1897?
- Related Investigation Baker's Gold What role did these unusual drawings play in one of the largest mass migrations in American history?
- Also in Vietnam Era: 1960-1980 Ronald McDonald Costume Is this the costume that helped serve up a billion Happy Meals?
This is a place for opinions, comments, questions and discussion; a place where viewers of History Detectives can express their points of view and connect with others who value history. We ask that posters be polite and respectful of all opinions. History Detectives reserves the right to delete comments that don’t conform to this conduct. We will not respond to every post, but will do our best to answer specific questions, or address an error.