Our contributor inherited a peculiar object from his father: a jerry-rigged ski boot with a magnetic metal brick bolted to the bottom.
In the 1960s, his father worked as an engineer for Westinghouse, which played a role in the space program.
Could this be the prototype for a NASA space boot? The magnet seems to have several layers and wires weaving throughout. The heel of the boot contains a plug.
History Detectives finds out what place this boot has in space history.
- Related Investigation 3D Cuban Missile Crisis Did this portable projection screen help save the Free World?
- Related Investigation Exercise Records What role did these records play in the sculpting of america's fixation with fitness?
- Also with Elyse Luray Chisholm Trail Did the Chisholm Trail really run through this small town in Texas?
- Also with Elyse Luray Josh White Guitar What role did this guitar play in the transformation of the music industry in the 1960's?
- Also with Elyse Luray WPA Mural Studies Are these unusual paintings part of the biggest job creation program in America's history?
- Also in Season 8 Cromwell Dixon Plane Fragment What could this faded scrap of fabric tell us about the first pilot to conquer the Continental Divide?
This is a place for opinions, comments, questions and discussion; a place where viewers of History Detectives can express their points of view and connect with others who value history. We ask that posters be polite and respectful of all opinions. History Detectives reserves the right to delete comments that don’t conform to this conduct. We will not respond to every post, but will do our best to answer specific questions, or address an error.