Our contributor inherited a peculiar object from his father: a jerry-rigged ski boot with a magnetic metal brick bolted to the bottom.
In the 1960s, his father worked as an engineer for Westinghouse, which played a role in the space program.
Could this be the prototype for a NASA space boot? The magnet seems to have several layers and wires weaving throughout. The heel of the boot contains a plug.
History Detectives finds out what place this boot has in space history.
- Also with Elyse Luray Pete Gray Cartoon Do these unsigned drawings from the golden age of comics tell the tale of a real life superhero?
- Also in Season 8 WB Cartoons What can this curious artwork tell us about some of our most beloved cartoon characters?
- Also with Elyse Luray Lucy Parson's Book Was the legendary anarchist the owner of this manifesto found in a library?
- Also in Season 8 Special Agent Five How did this tale of robbery and murder help FBI director J. Edgar Hoover consolidate his power?
- Also with Elyse Luray Jigsaw Puzzle Does this puzzle depict a real event - women playing contact sports in the late 19th century?
- Also in Season 8 Face Jug What does this ceramic face reveal about the Middle Passage and a captive people’s search for identity?
This is a place for opinions, comments, questions and discussion; a place where viewers of History Detectives can express their points of view and connect with others who value history. We ask that posters be polite and respectful of all opinions. History Detectives reserves the right to delete comments that don’t conform to this conduct. We will not respond to every post, but will do our best to answer specific questions, or address an error.