Our contributor inherited a peculiar object from his father: a jerry-rigged ski boot with a magnetic metal brick bolted to the bottom.
In the 1960s, his father worked as an engineer for Westinghouse, which played a role in the space program.
Could this be the prototype for a NASA space boot? The magnet seems to have several layers and wires weaving throughout. The heel of the boot contains a plug.
History Detectives finds out what place this boot has in space history.
- Related Investigation Howard Hughes Crash Was this the instrument that chartered Howard Hughes' near fatal plunge into Beverly Hills?
- Also in Season 8 Korean War Letter What does this letter reveal about a forgotten act of heroism during the final days of the Korean War?
- Also with Elyse Luray Tumbling Tumbleweeds Why would writing this song be bad for Bob Nolan?
- Related Investigation Car Tape Deck Is this an example of the first ever commercially produced car tape player?
- Also in Vietnam Era: 1960-1980 Cesar Chavez Banner What role did this banner play in one of the most famous civil rights campaigns in U.S. history?
- Also with Elyse Luray Chicago Clock What role did this clock play in keeping 19th century America running on time?
This is a place for opinions, comments, questions and discussion; a place where viewers of History Detectives can express their points of view and connect with others who value history. We ask that posters be polite and respectful of all opinions. History Detectives reserves the right to delete comments that don’t conform to this conduct. We will not respond to every post, but will do our best to answer specific questions, or address an error.