Our contributor inherited a peculiar object from his father: a jerry-rigged ski boot with a magnetic metal brick bolted to the bottom.
In the 1960s, his father worked as an engineer for Westinghouse, which played a role in the space program.
Could this be the prototype for a NASA space boot? The magnet seems to have several layers and wires weaving throughout. The heel of the boot contains a plug.
History Detectives finds out what place this boot has in space history.
- Also with Elyse Luray Movie Palace Is this small Wisconsin town theater the country's first great movie palace?
- Also with Elyse Luray Cannon House Could this family home once have been the headquarters of the kidnapper and slave trader Patty Cannon?
- Related Investigation Cromwell Dixon Plane Fragment What could this faded scrap of fabric tell us about the first pilot to conquer the Continental Divide?
- Also in Vietnam Era: 1960-1980 Frank Zappa Collage Is the artist who created this piece Frank Zappa?
- Also in Season 8 Lost City of Gold What can these carved letters reveal about the first explorers to visit the American Southwest?
- Also in Vietnam Era: 1960-1980 Bob Dylan Guitar Is this the guitar Bob Dylan played at the Newport Folk Festival in 1965?
This is a place for opinions, comments, questions and discussion; a place where viewers of History Detectives can express their points of view and connect with others who value history. We ask that posters be polite and respectful of all opinions. History Detectives reserves the right to delete comments that don’t conform to this conduct. We will not respond to every post, but will do our best to answer specific questions, or address an error.