Our contributor inherited a peculiar object from his father: a jerry-rigged ski boot with a magnetic metal brick bolted to the bottom.
In the 1960s, his father worked as an engineer for Westinghouse, which played a role in the space program.
Could this be the prototype for a NASA space boot? The magnet seems to have several layers and wires weaving throughout. The heel of the boot contains a plug.
History Detectives finds out what place this boot has in space history.
- Also with Elyse Luray Civil War Cannon How did the contents of this glass tube impact the first hours of the Civil War?
- Related Investigation Transistor Radio Is this the oldest transistor radio in existence?
- Related Investigation Civil War Submarine Is this submarine an example of new technology developed by the Confederates during the Civil War?
- Also with Elyse Luray Galvez Papers What stories do these faded legal pages reveal about a revolutionary war hero’s role in an unexpected love affair?
- Also with Elyse Luray Chicago Clock What role did this clock play in keeping 19th century America running on time?
- Also in Season 8 Iwo Jima Map What role did this map play in one of World War II's fiercest battles?
This is a place for opinions, comments, questions and discussion; a place where viewers of History Detectives can express their points of view and connect with others who value history. We ask that posters be polite and respectful of all opinions. History Detectives reserves the right to delete comments that don’t conform to this conduct. We will not respond to every post, but will do our best to answer specific questions, or address an error.