Our contributor inherited a peculiar object from his father: a jerry-rigged ski boot with a magnetic metal brick bolted to the bottom.
In the 1960s, his father worked as an engineer for Westinghouse, which played a role in the space program.
Could this be the prototype for a NASA space boot? The magnet seems to have several layers and wires weaving throughout. The heel of the boot contains a plug.
History Detectives finds out what place this boot has in space history.
- Also with Elyse Luray King Kong Camera Was this old movie camera used to film the original version of King Kong?
- Also with Elyse Luray Kittery Telescope What can this telescope reveal about America’s earliest struggles for independence?
- Also in Season 8 Mussolini's Dagger Did a World War II GI return home with Mussolini's dagger?
- Also with Elyse Luray St Valentine's Day Massacre Was this weapon fired in one of the nation's most infamous crimes?
- Related Investigation Cleveland Electric Car What happened to the electric street car network in Cleveland?
- Also in Season 8 Face Jug What does this ceramic face reveal about the Middle Passage and a captive people’s search for identity?
This is a place for opinions, comments, questions and discussion; a place where viewers of History Detectives can express their points of view and connect with others who value history. We ask that posters be polite and respectful of all opinions. History Detectives reserves the right to delete comments that don’t conform to this conduct. We will not respond to every post, but will do our best to answer specific questions, or address an error.