Our contributor inherited a peculiar object from his father: a jerry-rigged ski boot with a magnetic metal brick bolted to the bottom.
In the 1960s, his father worked as an engineer for Westinghouse, which played a role in the space program.
Could this be the prototype for a NASA space boot? The magnet seems to have several layers and wires weaving throughout. The heel of the boot contains a plug.
History Detectives finds out what place this boot has in space history.
- Also in Season 8 Lookout Mountain Painting What can this painting tell us about a turning point in the Civil War?
- Also with Elyse Luray Pete Gray Cartoon Do these unsigned drawings from the golden age of comics tell the tale of a real life superhero?
- Related Investigation Manhattan Project Letter Did this letter help persuade President Harry S. Truman to change policy in the post war era?
- Also with Elyse Luray Boarding House Flag Did this flag once save a boarding house from being burned down at the height of the Civil War?
- Also with Elyse Luray Cannon House Could this family home once have been the headquarters of the kidnapper and slave trader Patty Cannon?
- Related Investigation Exercise Records What role did these records play in the sculpting of america's fixation with fitness?
This is a place for opinions, comments, questions and discussion; a place where viewers of History Detectives can express their points of view and connect with others who value history. We ask that posters be polite and respectful of all opinions. History Detectives reserves the right to delete comments that don’t conform to this conduct. We will not respond to every post, but will do our best to answer specific questions, or address an error.