Our contributor inherited a peculiar object from his father: a jerry-rigged ski boot with a magnetic metal brick bolted to the bottom.
In the 1960s, his father worked as an engineer for Westinghouse, which played a role in the space program.
Could this be the prototype for a NASA space boot? The magnet seems to have several layers and wires weaving throughout. The heel of the boot contains a plug.
History Detectives finds out what place this boot has in space history.
- Also in Season 8 Universal Friends What can this 200-year-old document reveal about the first American-born woman to lead a religious movement?
- Related Investigation Seadrome Did floating airports dot the Atlantic before modern air travel?
- Also with Elyse Luray Civil War Cannon How did the contents of this glass tube impact the first hours of the Civil War?
- Also with Elyse Luray WWII Landing Craft Did this vessel land tanks on the beaches of France during World War II?
- Also with Elyse Luray Flint Lock Rifle Was this the gun of one of the most infamous bandits operating to undermine the birth of our nation?
- Related Investigation Baker's Gold What role did these unusual drawings play in one of the largest mass migrations in American history?
This is a place for opinions, comments, questions and discussion; a place where viewers of History Detectives can express their points of view and connect with others who value history. We ask that posters be polite and respectful of all opinions. History Detectives reserves the right to delete comments that don’t conform to this conduct. We will not respond to every post, but will do our best to answer specific questions, or address an error.