Our contributor inherited a peculiar object from his father: a jerry-rigged ski boot with a magnetic metal brick bolted to the bottom.
In the 1960s, his father worked as an engineer for Westinghouse, which played a role in the space program.
Could this be the prototype for a NASA space boot? The magnet seems to have several layers and wires weaving throughout. The heel of the boot contains a plug.
History Detectives finds out what place this boot has in space history.
- Related Investigation Manhattan Project Letter Did this letter help persuade President Harry S. Truman to change policy in the post war era?
- Also in Vietnam Era: 1960-1980 Bob Dylan Guitar Is this the guitar Bob Dylan played at the Newport Folk Festival in 1965?
- Also with Elyse Luray Galvez Papers What stories do these faded legal pages reveal about a revolutionary war hero’s role in an unexpected love affair?
- Also with Elyse Luray Our Colored Heroes Is this a WWI recruitment poster... or something else?
- Related Investigation Moon Museum Was work by major artists, including Andy Warhol, smuggled to the moon?
- Also in Season 8 Transatlantic Cable How did this twisted fragment of metal spark a communications revolution?
This is a place for opinions, comments, questions and discussion; a place where viewers of History Detectives can express their points of view and connect with others who value history. We ask that posters be polite and respectful of all opinions. History Detectives reserves the right to delete comments that don’t conform to this conduct. We will not respond to every post, but will do our best to answer specific questions, or address an error.