Our contributor inherited a peculiar object from his father: a jerry-rigged ski boot with a magnetic metal brick bolted to the bottom.
In the 1960s, his father worked as an engineer for Westinghouse, which played a role in the space program.
Could this be the prototype for a NASA space boot? The magnet seems to have several layers and wires weaving throughout. The heel of the boot contains a plug.
History Detectives finds out what place this boot has in space history.
- Also with Elyse Luray WPA Mural Studies Are these unusual paintings part of the biggest job creation program in America's history?
- Also with Elyse Luray Josh White Guitar What role did this guitar play in the transformation of the music industry in the 1960's?
- Also in Season 8 Korean War Letter What does this letter reveal about a forgotten act of heroism during the final days of the Korean War?
- Also in Season 8 Bartlett Sketchbook Does a leather bound sketchbook hold the key to some of the US' most significant history?
- Also with Elyse Luray Muhlenberg Robe Was this robe torn off during a fiery sermon to rally congregants to the cause of the Revolutionary War?
- Also in Season 8 Duke Ellington Plates What is the story behind the printing plates for this famous Jazz song?
This is a place for opinions, comments, questions and discussion; a place where viewers of History Detectives can express their points of view and connect with others who value history. We ask that posters be polite and respectful of all opinions. History Detectives reserves the right to delete comments that don’t conform to this conduct. We will not respond to every post, but will do our best to answer specific questions, or address an error.