Our contributor inherited a peculiar object from his father: a jerry-rigged ski boot with a magnetic metal brick bolted to the bottom.
In the 1960s, his father worked as an engineer for Westinghouse, which played a role in the space program.
Could this be the prototype for a NASA space boot? The magnet seems to have several layers and wires weaving throughout. The heel of the boot contains a plug.
History Detectives finds out what place this boot has in space history.
- Also with Elyse Luray Red Hand Flag Is this peculiar flag one that African-American soldiers marched under in the war to end all wars?
- Also with Elyse Luray Mouse Toy Could this tiny toy labeled 'Micky' be the original Mickey Mouse?
- Also in Vietnam Era: 1960-1980 Vietnam War Diary Why did this story capture international interest?
- Also with Elyse Luray Warner's Lighter What is the connection between Harry Warner and a studio associated with the Nazi party?
- Also in Season 8 Jackie Robinson Scorecard What does this scorecard reveal about the desegregation of our national pastime?
- Related Investigation Poison Pin Are these prototypes for poison suicide pins carried by spy plane pilots during the Cold War?
This is a place for opinions, comments, questions and discussion; a place where viewers of History Detectives can express their points of view and connect with others who value history. We ask that posters be polite and respectful of all opinions. History Detectives reserves the right to delete comments that don’t conform to this conduct. We will not respond to every post, but will do our best to answer specific questions, or address an error.