Our contributor inherited a peculiar object from his father: a jerry-rigged ski boot with a magnetic metal brick bolted to the bottom.
In the 1960s, his father worked as an engineer for Westinghouse, which played a role in the space program.
Could this be the prototype for a NASA space boot? The magnet seems to have several layers and wires weaving throughout. The heel of the boot contains a plug.
History Detectives finds out what place this boot has in space history.
- Related Investigation Amelia Earhart Plane Was this piece of metal ripped from one of the most famous missing planes in history?
- Also in Season 8 Lost City of Gold What can these carved letters reveal about the first explorers to visit the American Southwest?
- Also with Elyse Luray Civil War Bridge Has a new discovery rewritten Civil War history?
- Also with Elyse Luray Red Hand Flag Is this peculiar flag one that African-American soldiers marched under in the war to end all wars?
- Also with Elyse Luray Lost Gold Ship Is this wreck in Alaska the remains of a steamship carrying miners to the great Klondike Gold Rush of 1897?
- Related Investigation Sideshow Babies Was the owner of this cup once a four-pound sideshow exhibit?
This is a place for opinions, comments, questions and discussion; a place where viewers of History Detectives can express their points of view and connect with others who value history. We ask that posters be polite and respectful of all opinions. History Detectives reserves the right to delete comments that don’t conform to this conduct. We will not respond to every post, but will do our best to answer specific questions, or address an error.