Our contributor inherited a peculiar object from his father: a jerry-rigged ski boot with a magnetic metal brick bolted to the bottom.
In the 1960s, his father worked as an engineer for Westinghouse, which played a role in the space program.
Could this be the prototype for a NASA space boot? The magnet seems to have several layers and wires weaving throughout. The heel of the boot contains a plug.
History Detectives finds out what place this boot has in space history.
- Related Investigation NC-4: First Across The Atlantic Is this piece of fabric a remnant from the first transatlantic flight?
- Also in Season 8 Special Agent Five How did this tale of robbery and murder help FBI director J. Edgar Hoover consolidate his power?
- Also in Vietnam Era: 1960-1980 Who Killed Jimmy Hoffa? Teamster boss Jimmy Hoffa disappeared without a trace in 1975. Was he murdered? If so, who killed him and why?
- Related Investigation Manhattan Project Patent Was this drawing part of America's secret plans to fuel the atomic bomb?
- Also with Elyse Luray Luxury Liner Picture Frame Is this picture frame a piece of the Titanic, Lusitania or neither?
- Also with Elyse Luray Houdini Poster Could these be original theatre posters of the greatest magician on earth?
This is a place for opinions, comments, questions and discussion; a place where viewers of History Detectives can express their points of view and connect with others who value history. We ask that posters be polite and respectful of all opinions. History Detectives reserves the right to delete comments that don’t conform to this conduct. We will not respond to every post, but will do our best to answer specific questions, or address an error.