Our contributor inherited a peculiar object from his father: a jerry-rigged ski boot with a magnetic metal brick bolted to the bottom.
In the 1960s, his father worked as an engineer for Westinghouse, which played a role in the space program.
Could this be the prototype for a NASA space boot? The magnet seems to have several layers and wires weaving throughout. The heel of the boot contains a plug.
History Detectives finds out what place this boot has in space history.
- Also in Season 8 Modoc Basket What tales does this basket weave of the heroism of an American-Indian woman?
- Related Investigation Exercise Records What role did these records play in the sculpting of america's fixation with fitness?
- Also with Elyse Luray Annie Oakley Coin Was this coin a target for one of the Wild West's most popular female sharpshooters?
- Also with Elyse Luray Revolutionary War Poem How did this poem, written by an American prisoner in England in 1780 end up in Oregon 200 years later?
- Also in Season 8 Face Jug What does this ceramic face reveal about the Middle Passage and a captive people’s search for identity?
- Also with Elyse Luray Pebble in the Sand Is this rock found on a beach a link to an ancient civilization or just another pebble in the sand?
This is a place for opinions, comments, questions and discussion; a place where viewers of History Detectives can express their points of view and connect with others who value history. We ask that posters be polite and respectful of all opinions. History Detectives reserves the right to delete comments that don’t conform to this conduct. We will not respond to every post, but will do our best to answer specific questions, or address an error.