Support provided by:
The Battle of Vicksburg was vital to the North’s command and ultimate success in the the Civil War. Could this map have been used during the siege?
As commander of several batteries during the pivotal 1863, our contributor's great-grandfather certainly was at Vicksburg. But was his map? And could this document be a missing piece of history—the kind that archivists and historians dream of?
History Detectives goes from Mississippi to Washington, D.C. to dig up fascinating details and evidence on this key Civil War battle.
- Related Investigation Mussolini's Dagger Did a World War II GI return home with Mussolini's dagger?
- Related Investigation WB Cartoons What can this curious artwork tell us about some of our most beloved cartoon characters?
- Also with Tukufu Zuberi Wartime Baseball Is this baseball evidence of an unusual ballgame that took place during segregation?
- Also with Tukufu Zuberi Fiery Cross What is the story behind this record?
- Also in Season 4 Howard Hughes Invention Was this oil drilling device really a Howard Hughes invention?
- Also in Season 4 Chisholm Trail Did the Chisholm Trail really run through this small town in Texas?
This is a place for opinions, comments, questions and discussion; a place where viewers of History Detectives can express their points of view and connect with others who value history. We ask that posters be polite and respectful of all opinions. History Detectives reserves the right to delete comments that don’t conform to this conduct. We will not respond to every post, but will do our best to answer specific questions, or address an error.
Anyone wishing to submit an artifact for investigation should do so through Submit a Story.
- Submit your StoryDo you have a Civil War object? Submit your story now.
- Latest CommentWhat is this glorifying the firearm (which is a semi-automatic by the way) of a criminal? (6 hours ago)
- Twitterremember this investigation with @TukufuZuberi @elyseluray Tonight they reunite! Let us know your thoughts! @PBS http://t.co/4KMnc27K (7 months ago)
- FacebookHow much do you think it will be worth in 50 years? (4 days ago)