Support provided by:
The Battle of Vicksburg was vital to the North’s command and ultimate success in the the Civil War. Could this map have been used during the siege?
As commander of several batteries during the pivotal 1863, our contributor's great-grandfather certainly was at Vicksburg. But was his map? And could this document be a missing piece of history—the kind that archivists and historians dream of?
History Detectives goes from Mississippi to Washington, D.C. to dig up fascinating details and evidence on this key Civil War battle.
- Related Investigation Connecticut Farmhouse Why did this Connecticut farmhouse have so many owners in such a short space of time?
- Also with Tukufu Zuberi Amos n' Andy Record Is this aluminum record an early recording of the old-time radio series?
- Also in Season 4 Mouse Toy Could this tiny toy labeled 'Micky' be the original Mickey Mouse?
- Related Investigation John Brown Pike How did this metal blade spark violent tension between the North and the South?
- Also in Civil War: 1850-1877 Chief Black Kettle Are these war spoils of a Cheyenne chief?
- Also with Tukufu Zuberi Howard Hughes Crash Was this the instrument that chartered Howard Hughes' near fatal plunge into Beverly Hills?
This is a place for opinions, comments, questions and discussion; a place where viewers of History Detectives can express their points of view and connect with others who value history. We ask that posters be polite and respectful of all opinions. History Detectives reserves the right to delete comments that don’t conform to this conduct. We will not respond to every post, but will do our best to answer specific questions, or address an error.
Anyone wishing to submit an artifact for investigation should do so through Submit a Story.
- Submit your StoryDo you have a Civil War object? Submit your story now.
- Latest CommentI have a Pearl Harbor story. It involves a bracelet that was fashioned from the dial labels of one of the kamikaze fighter jets. The dashboard was pulled out before the plane went up in flames after it had crashed. The bracelet was given to my grandmother, (17 hours ago)
- Twitterremember this investigation with @TukufuZuberi @elyseluray Tonight they reunite! Let us know your thoughts! @PBS http://t.co/4KMnc27K (7 months ago)
- FacebookSome wisdom as the day draws to a close. Like my page for more conversations. Enjoy your evening. Peace, Tukufu. (2 days ago)