Support provided by:
The Battle of Vicksburg was vital to the North’s command and ultimate success in the the Civil War. Could this map have been used during the siege?
As commander of several batteries during the pivotal 1863, our contributor's great-grandfather certainly was at Vicksburg. But was his map? And could this document be a missing piece of history—the kind that archivists and historians dream of?
History Detectives goes from Mississippi to Washington, D.C. to dig up fascinating details and evidence on this key Civil War battle.
- Related Investigation Szyk Picture Could these be early drawings of America's most influential political cartoonist?
- Related Investigation 32' Ford Roadster Was this car among the popular hot rods that raced out at the dry lakes in the 1930s?
- Also with Tukufu Zuberi Lost Musical Treasure Are these fragments of a lost moment in American musical history?
- Also in Civil War: 1850-1877 Civil War Soldier Photo Is this the photo of a Civil War soldier actually a woman in disguise?
- Also in Season 4 Doc Holliday's Watch Was this watch a gift from the fearless frontier lawman Wyatt Earp to the gambler Doc Holliday?
- Also with Tukufu Zuberi Atocha Spanish Silver What are these markings on a silver bar discovered in the wreck of a Spanish ship?
This is a place for opinions, comments, questions and discussion; a place where viewers of History Detectives can express their points of view and connect with others who value history. We ask that posters be polite and respectful of all opinions. History Detectives reserves the right to delete comments that don’t conform to this conduct. We will not respond to every post, but will do our best to answer specific questions, or address an error.
Anyone wishing to submit an artifact for investigation should do so through Submit a Story.
- Submit your StoryDo you have a Civil War object? Submit your story now.
- Latest CommentIt turns out that this collage was sold last fall: http://www.worthpoint.com/wort... I wonder if it would be possible to contact the buyer by way of the auction house about getting a print made. (6 months ago)
- Twitterremember this investigation with @TukufuZuberi @elyseluray Tonight they reunite! Let us know your thoughts! @PBS http://t.co/4KMnc27K (1 year ago)
- FacebookCongrats on your exhibit, TZ! Here's a Washington Post article about the exhibit, everyone, and the great story TZ and Elyse did on his "Our Colored Heroes" story. http://tinyurl.com/mzpuyo8 http://www.pbs.org/opb/historydetectives/investigation/our-colored-heroes/ (6 months ago)