Yakima Canutt's Saddle
A veteran collector of cowboy gear, our contributor thinks he may have a saddle that once belonged to rodeo champion and Hollywood legend, Yakima Canutt.
The saddle has the name "Canutt" tooled into the leather, with the word "Yak" inserted into the middle of "Canutt." Yakima Canutt dominated the rodeo circuit and when early Western actor Tom Mix met Canutt, he helped launch Canutt’s Hollywood career. Canutt first starred as an actor in silent movies, then doubled as a stuntman for some of Hollywood’s biggest names – Errol Flynn, Clark Gable and John Wayne.
But our collector wants History Detectives to answer a nagging question: Did this saddle actually belong to Yakima Canutt?
Autry Center at Griffith Park
4700 Western Heritage Way
Los Angeles, CA 90027-1462
Pendleton Round Up Hall of Fame
1114 Southwest Court Avenue
Pendleton, OR 97801-1915
- Also in this episode Modoc Basket What tales does this basket weave of the heroism of an American-Indian woman?
- Also in Emerging Modern America: 1890-1930 Nesbit Portrait Is this portrait a lost masterpiece by one of America's greatest artists?
- Also in Season 9 Andrew Jackson's Mouth How was this wood fragment connected to one of the most celebrated political protests of the 19th century?
- Also with Wes Cowan U.S.S Olympia Glass Could this farmhouse door have sailed into battle in one of the country's greatest naval victories?
- Also in Emerging Modern America: 1890-1930 NC-4: First Across The Atlantic Is this piece of fabric a remnant from the first transatlantic flight?
- Also in Emerging Modern America: 1890-1930 Amos n' Andy Record Is this aluminum record an early recording of the old-time radio series?
This is a place for opinions, comments, questions and discussion; a place where viewers of History Detectives can express their points of view and connect with others who value history. We ask that posters be polite and respectful of all opinions. History Detectives reserves the right to delete comments that don’t conform to this conduct. We will not respond to every post, but will do our best to answer specific questions, or address an error.