Yakima Canutt's Saddle
Support provided by:
A veteran collector of cowboy gear, our contributor thinks he may have a saddle that once belonged to rodeo champion and Hollywood legend, Yakima Canutt.
The saddle has the name "Canutt" tooled into the leather, with the word "Yak" inserted into the middle of "Canutt." Yakima Canutt dominated the rodeo circuit and when early Western actor Tom Mix met Canutt, he helped launch Canutt’s Hollywood career. Canutt first starred as an actor in silent movies, then doubled as a stuntman for some of Hollywood’s biggest names – Errol Flynn, Clark Gable and John Wayne.
But our collector wants History Detectives to answer a nagging question: Did this saddle actually belong to Yakima Canutt?
Autry Center at Griffith Park
4700 Western Heritage Way
Los Angeles, CA 90027-1462
Pendleton Round Up Hall of Fame
1114 Southwest Court Avenue
Pendleton, OR 97801-1915
- Also with Wes Cowan Slave Banjo Is this the only surviving banjo carried by former slaves following Emancipation?
- Also with Wes Cowan Manhattan Project Patent Was this drawing part of America's secret plans to fuel the atomic bomb?
- Also in Emerging Modern America: 1890-1930 Nora Holt Autograph Book Why did this Harlem Renaissance luminary own a book filled with U.S. Presidents' signatures?
- Also with Wes Cowan WWII Diary Does this diary hold the key to understanding the fate of a missing bomber pilot from World War II?
- Also in Season 10 Valley Forge Map Did George Washington use this map during the American Revolution?
- Also in Emerging Modern America: 1890-1930 Bonus Army Stamp Is this stamp connected to a moment when the U.S. Army fought fellow soldiers in the nation’s capital?
This is a place for opinions, comments, questions and discussion; a place where viewers of History Detectives can express their points of view and connect with others who value history. We ask that posters be polite and respectful of all opinions. History Detectives reserves the right to delete comments that don’t conform to this conduct. We will not respond to every post, but will do our best to answer specific questions, or address an error.
- Submit your StoryDo you have an object from an Emerging Modern America?
- Latest CommentIt turns out that this collage was sold last fall: http://www.worthpoint.com/wort... I wonder if it would be possible to contact the buyer by way of the auction house about getting a print made. (9 months ago)
- Twitterremember this investigation with @TukufuZuberi @elyseluray Tonight they reunite! Let us know your thoughts! @PBS http://t.co/4KMnc27K (1 year ago)
- FacebookCongrats on your exhibit, TZ! Here's a Washington Post article about the exhibit, everyone, and the great story TZ and Elyse did on his "Our Colored Heroes" story. http://tinyurl.com/mzpuyo8 http://www.pbs.org/opb/historydetectives/investigation/our-colored-heroes/ (9 months ago)