Yakima Canutt's Saddle
A veteran collector of cowboy gear, our contributor thinks he may have a saddle that once belonged to rodeo champion and Hollywood legend, Yakima Canutt.
The saddle has the name "Canutt" tooled into the leather, with the word "Yak" inserted into the middle of "Canutt." Yakima Canutt dominated the rodeo circuit and when early Western actor Tom Mix met Canutt, he helped launch Canutt’s Hollywood career. Canutt first starred as an actor in silent movies, then doubled as a stuntman for some of Hollywood’s biggest names – Errol Flynn, Clark Gable and John Wayne.
But our collector wants History Detectives to answer a nagging question: Did this saddle actually belong to Yakima Canutt?
Autry Center at Griffith Park
4700 Western Heritage Way
Los Angeles, CA 90027-1462
Pendleton Round Up Hall of Fame
1114 Southwest Court Avenue
Pendleton, OR 97801-1915
- Also in Season 9 Kittery Telescope What can this telescope reveal about America’s earliest struggles for independence?
- Also in Emerging Modern America: 1890-1930 Lost Musical Treasure Are these fragments of a lost moment in American musical history?
- Also with Wes Cowan Mark Twain's Watch Was this watch a gift from noted author American author Mark Twain?
- Also with Wes Cowan Jefferson Pledge Did the transformation of the nation's public education system begin with this $200 pledge?
- Also in Emerging Modern America: 1890-1930 Black Tom Shell Is this shell from a devastating act of foreign sabotage on American soil?
- Also in Emerging Modern America: 1890-1930 Red Hand Flag Is this peculiar flag one that African-American soldiers marched under in the war to end all wars?
This is a place for opinions, comments, questions and discussion; a place where viewers of History Detectives can express their points of view and connect with others who value history. We ask that posters be polite and respectful of all opinions. History Detectives reserves the right to delete comments that don’t conform to this conduct. We will not respond to every post, but will do our best to answer specific questions, or address an error.