The History Detectives have traveled the length and breadth of the country, delving into family legends, local folklore and stories behind potentially extraordinary objects in everyday American homes, cities and small towns.
Browse the investigations on the map and see what we've revealed in your area.
- Investigations Frank Zappa Collage Is the artist who created this piece Frank Zappa?
- Investigations Alcoholics Anonymous Letter Is this letter proof of one man's contribution to this secretive society?
- Investigations Lindbergh Engine Could a 24-year-old have single-handedly built the engine for Lindbergh's plane?
- Investigations Cromwell Dixon Plane Fragment What could this faded scrap of fabric tell us about the first pilot to conquer the Continental Divide?
- Techniques Document Examination How to determine authenticity and authorship of a document.
- Techniques Photographs Learn how to analyze your photographs.
- Investigations Fillmore Pardon Did President Fillmore pardon a Native American convicted of murder?
- Techniques Genealogy - Glossary A list of useful words to know when using genealogy.
- Investigations Korean War Letter What does this letter reveal about a forgotten act of heroism during the final days of the Korean War?
- Investigations Calf Creek Arrow Is this arrow found in a bison skull just another hoax or an incredible archeological discovery?
- Techniques Case File: 20 Questions Read this case file to help get your investigation started.
- Techniques DNA Analysis How to prove a person's identity.
- Investigations Movie Palace Is this small Wisconsin town theater the country's first great movie palace?
- Investigations Civil War Cannon How did the contents of this glass tube impact the first hours of the Civil War?
- Investigations WWII Patch What is the story behind these patches?
- Investigations Nesbit Portrait Is this portrait a lost masterpiece by one of America's greatest artists?
- Investigations King Kong Camera Was this old movie camera used to film the original version of King Kong?
- Techniques Appraising Getting a valuation using an independent source or expert opinion.
- Techniques Patent Analysis Find out the origin and detail surrounding an invention or innovation.
- Techniques Stones And Minerals How to study stones and minerals.
- Investigations Shippen Golf Club Was this the golf club used by John Shippen when he made sporting history in the 1896 U.S. Open?
- Techniques Finding Experts How to source the correct expert to assist in an investigation.
- Techniques Archives Learn how to successfully use archives for your research.
- Investigations Superman Sketch Is this a WWII sketch from the early days of this comic icon?
- Techniques Stones And Minerals - Checklist Printable checklist to use when studying stones and minerals.
- Investigations Napolean's Sword Did Napoleon bestow this sword as a gift to a brave ancestor of a St. Martinville family?
- Techniques Preservation - Checklist Printable checklist to use when preserving an item.
- Techniques Historical Research It's your turn to be a History Detective.
- Techniques Ballistics Collecting clues and evidence from bullets and firearms.
- Investigations U.S.S. Thresher Do these documents disclose information about U.S. secret weapons in the Cold War?
- Techniques Analyzing Art - Checklist A printable 'To Do' list for analyzing art.
- Techniques Military Research Using military records in your research.
- Techniques Very Old Objects How to discover fascinating history, from very old objects.
- Investigations Lookout Mountain Painting What can this painting tell us about a turning point in the Civil War?
- Techniques Building Background Discover more about a building's history.
- Investigations Drone Propellor Could this propellor have powered a top secret weapon that transformed modern warfare?