The History Detectives have traveled the length and breadth of the country, delving into family legends, local folklore and stories behind potentially extraordinary objects in everyday American homes, cities and small towns.
Browse the investigations on the map and see what we've revealed in your area.
- Techniques Case File: Mystery Moran How to know if unwanted 'junk' is a hidden treasure.
- Investigations Lincoln Letter Does this cryptic letter reveal Abraham Lincoln's secret strategy for winning political power?
- Investigations Short Snorter Was this British ten-shilling note witness to the forging of the alliance between America and Britain?
- Investigations 32' Ford Roadster Was this car among the popular hot rods that raced out at the dry lakes in the 1930s?
- Techniques DNA Analysis How to prove a person's identity.
- Techniques Case File: Soldiers In Skirts How to use military records to help you learn about your family.
- Techniques Property Search How to carry out a property search.
- Investigations Liberia Letter Does this letter help to trace one freed man’s dream to return to Africa?
- Investigations Napolean's Sword Did Napoleon bestow this sword as a gift to a brave ancestor of a St. Martinville family?
- Investigations Ernie Pyle's Typewriter Did America’s most beloved battlefront correspondent bang out his dispatches on this Corona 3?
- Techniques Historical Research It's your turn to be a History Detective.
- Techniques Case File: Rock n' Research How to identify rocks.
- Investigations Spybook What does this little black book reveal about spying on the home front during World War I?
- Techniques African-American Genealogy
- Techniques Historical Research - Checklist Printable checklist to use when doing historical research.
- Techniques Glossary A list of useful words and phrase for carrying out historical research.
- Techniques Oral History Learn how to record oral or spoken history.
- Investigations John Hunt Morgan Saddle Could this be a saddle from one of the most audacious attacks launched by the South during the Civil War?
- Investigations Red Cloud's Peace Pipe Was this pipe given to an Indian agent by the famous Lakota warrior Chief Red Cloud?
- Techniques Military History - WWII Learn how to research a WWII veteran’s military record.
- Techniques Paper Analysis Learn how to analyze paper to determine its age and origin.
- Investigations Body In The Basement Are these the remains of an executed prisoner of war from an English Civil War battle?
- Investigations Moon Museum Was work by major artists, including Andy Warhol, smuggled to the moon?
- Techniques Stones And Minerals - Checklist Printable checklist to use when studying stones and minerals.
- Investigations Siberian Bullet What can this bullet reveal about the hidden agenda of American forces in a fight against Soviet Communism?
- Investigations Texas POW Camp Was this small town in Texas the home of a WWII POW camp?
- Techniques Document Examination How to determine authenticity and authorship of a document.
- Investigations Chandler Tintype How did this Civil War era tintype help re-ignite a fiery debate about African Americans bearing arms for the confederacy?
- Investigations Hindenburg Artifact Was this device snatched from the burning wreckage of the ill-fated zeppelin?
- Investigations Face Jug What does this ceramic face reveal about the Middle Passage and a captive people’s search for identity?
- Techniques Photographs Learn how to analyze your photographs.
- Techniques Case File: Hidden Meanings Finding out more about the author of a diary.
- Investigations Civil War Submarine Is this submarine an example of new technology developed by the Confederates during the Civil War?
- Techniques Building Background Discover more about a building's history.
- Investigations Boarding House Flag Did this flag once save a boarding house from being burned down at the height of the Civil War?
- Techniques Patent Analysis Find out the origin and detail surrounding an invention or innovation.