The History Detectives have traveled the length and breadth of the country, delving into family legends, local folklore and stories behind potentially extraordinary objects in everyday American homes, cities and small towns.
Browse the investigations on the map and see what we've revealed in your area.
- Techniques Military Research Using military records in your research.
- Investigations Japanese Balloon Bomb Is this scrap of fabric evidence of a secret wartime attack on the United States' mainland?
- Techniques Genealogy - Checklist A printable 'To Do' list to use when using genealogy.
- Investigations Marshall House Flag Did this piece of fabric come from a flag that cost a Union colonel his life?
- Techniques Appraisal Glossary A List of useful words and phrases for Appraising.
- Techniques Case File: A Soldier's Fortune Find out how this historian used archives when investigating his family's history.
- Techniques Tracking People - Checklist Printable checklist to use when tracking people.
- Techniques Photographs - Checklist Printable checklist to use when analyzing photographs.
- Investigations Mark Twain's Watch Was this watch a gift from noted author American author Mark Twain?
- Investigations Lincoln Forgery Could this piece of sheet music have come from Abraham Lincoln's private collection?
- Investigations Superman Sketch Is this a WWII sketch from the early days of this comic icon?
- Investigations Natchez House How did a free man of color come to own this house twelve years before emancipation?
- Techniques Historical Research It's your turn to be a History Detective.
- Investigations 1856 Mormon Tale Is this tattered book a true account of female slavery in the old West?
- Investigations Texas POW Camp Was this small town in Texas the home of a WWII POW camp?
- Techniques Document Examination How to determine authenticity and authorship of a document.
- Techniques Analyzing Art Taking a closer look at works of art.
- Techniques Written Items - Checklist Printable checklist to use when examining written items.
- Techniques Case File: WWII Find out how this historian researched a relative.
- Investigations Japanese Carved Cane What can the message on this cane expose about life behind barbed wire in World War II America?
- Techniques Oral History Learn how to record oral or spoken history.
- Techniques Case File: Hidden Meanings Finding out more about the author of a diary.
- Investigations Harley Davidson Motorcycle Did this motorcycle see action in World War I?
- Techniques Building Background - Checklist A printable 'To Do' list to use when investigating buildings
- Techniques Military History - WWII Learn how to research a WWII veteran’s military record.
- Investigations Pretty Boy Floyd's Gun Did this vintage Colt handgun belong to the outlaw Charles "Pretty Boy" Floyd?
- Investigations Civil War Letters What can these letters reveal about a racially-charged massacre on a Civil War battlefield?
- Investigations Long Expedition Is this the site of the one of the most significant expeditions in the United States?
- Techniques Patent Analysis Find out the origin and detail surrounding an invention or innovation.
- Investigations Philadelphia Freedom Paper Is this document found in a flea market an original freedom paper for African-Americans?
- Techniques Analyzing Art - Checklist A printable 'To Do' list for analyzing art.
- Investigations Shipwreck Cannons Are these the last remains of a navy schooner that fought in a border dispute with the mighty British Empire?
- Investigations Space Boot What does this odd-looking boot have to do with America's first steps in space?
- Investigations Women's Suffrage Painting What role did this watercolor painting play in securing women the right to vote?
- Techniques Case File: Detecting Daguerreotypes Learn more about daguerreotypes.
- Investigations Creole Poems Does this manuscript contain words of love or illegal acts of rebellion?