The History Detectives have traveled the length and breadth of the country, delving into family legends, local folklore and stories behind potentially extraordinary objects in everyday American homes, cities and small towns.
Browse the investigations on the map and see what we've revealed in your area.
- Investigations 32' Ford Roadster Was this car among the popular hot rods that raced out at the dry lakes in the 1930s?
- Investigations Chief Black Kettle Are these war spoils of a Cheyenne chief?
- Investigations Tiffany Window What can this watercolor reveal about the unexpected world of one of America’s great artists?
- Techniques Analyzing Art Taking a closer look at works of art.
- Techniques Do's And Don'ts Your definitive list of do's and don'ts when carrying out historical research.
- Investigations Shippen Golf Club Was this the golf club used by John Shippen when he made sporting history in the 1896 U.S. Open?
- Investigations Warner's Lighter What is the connection between Harry Warner and a studio associated with the Nazi party?
- Techniques Preservation - Checklist Printable checklist to use when preserving an item.
- Investigations Andrew Jackson's Mouth How was this wood fragment connected to one of the most celebrated political protests of the 19th century?
- Investigations Valley Forge Map Did George Washington use this map during the American Revolution?
- Investigations Ince Ledger What does this accounts ledger for a movie company have to do with the changing world of the Lakota Sioux?
- Techniques Census Information How to use census records in your investigation.
- Investigations Nazi Spy Toys Did a Nazi spy buy these toy soldiers?
- Techniques Tracking People - Checklist Printable checklist to use when tracking people.
- Techniques Military Research Using military records in your research.
- Techniques Very Old Objects - Checklist Printable checklist to use when examining very old objects.
- Investigations Connecticut Farmhouse Why did this Connecticut farmhouse have so many owners in such a short space of time?
- Investigations Internment Artwork What is the story behind these watercolor paintings of a prison camp?
- Techniques Building Background - Checklist A printable 'To Do' list to use when investigating buildings
- Techniques Genealogy - Checklist A printable 'To Do' list to use when using genealogy.
- Techniques Archives - Checklist A printable 'To Do' list to use when using archives.
- Investigations Independence Trumpet Is a Pennsylvania man's trumpet somehow tied to the Revolutionary War?
- Investigations St Valentine's Day Massacre Was this weapon fired in one of the nation's most infamous crimes?
- Techniques Written Items - Checklist Printable checklist to use when examining written items.
- Investigations Mouse Toy Could this tiny toy labeled 'Micky' be the original Mickey Mouse?
- Techniques Gun Timeline A timeline of firearm history.
- Investigations Napolean's Sword Did Napoleon bestow this sword as a gift to a brave ancestor of a St. Martinville family?
- Investigations Civil War Bridge Has a new discovery rewritten Civil War history?
- Investigations Doc Holliday's Watch Was this watch a gift from the fearless frontier lawman Wyatt Earp to the gambler Doc Holliday?
- Techniques Historical Research It's your turn to be a History Detective.
- Techniques Ballistics Collecting clues and evidence from bullets and firearms.
- Investigations Civil War Sabotage? The steamship Sultana exploded one night in 1865, killing more than 1,800 people. Was the disaster a result of Civil War sabotage?
- Techniques Building Background Discover more about a building's history.
- Techniques Property Search How to carry out a property search.
- Techniques Case File: Mystery Moran How to know if unwanted 'junk' is a hidden treasure.
- Techniques Geological Analysis Learn how to identify probable age and origin of ceramic, stone and tile objects