The History Detectives have traveled the length and breadth of the country, delving into family legends, local folklore and stories behind potentially extraordinary objects in everyday American homes, cities and small towns.
Browse the investigations on the map and see what we've revealed in your area.
- Techniques Geological Analysis Learn how to identify probable age and origin of ceramic, stone and tile objects
- Investigations Napolean's Sword Did Napoleon bestow this sword as a gift to a brave ancestor of a St. Martinville family?
- Investigations Spybook What does this little black book reveal about spying on the home front during World War I?
- Investigations Leopold Medal What does this medal reveal about a top-secret American Military project during WWII?
- Investigations Chisholm Trail Did the Chisholm Trail really run through this small town in Texas?
- Techniques Very Old Objects How to discover fascinating history, from very old objects.
- Techniques Learning From Skeletons What we can find out from a skeleton.
- Techniques DNA Analysis How to prove a person's identity.
- Investigations Connecticut Farmhouse Why did this Connecticut farmhouse have so many owners in such a short space of time?
- Techniques Building Background Discover more about a building's history.
- Investigations Mankato Spoon What does this delicate silver spoon have to do with the largest mass execution in American history?
- Techniques Case File: Hidden Meanings Finding out more about the author of a diary.
- Investigations Survivor Camera Did this antique camera save a Polish Jew during the Holocaust?
- Techniques Gun Timeline A timeline of firearm history.
- Investigations First Movie Studio Could a broken gateway once have been the grand entrance to a Hollywood studio?
- Techniques Case File: Rock n' Research How to identify rocks.
- Investigations Natchez House How did a free man of color come to own this house twelve years before emancipation?
- Techniques Genealogy Learn how to successfully investigate your family history.
- Techniques Preservation - Checklist Printable checklist to use when preserving an item.
- Techniques Glossary A list of useful words and phrase for carrying out historical research.
- Investigations Calf Creek Arrow Is this arrow found in a bison skull just another hoax or an incredible archeological discovery?
- Investigations Lauste Film Clip How is this odd strip of film connected to the invention of talking movies?
- Techniques Case File: Quirky Quilts How to look after a very old quilt.
- Investigations Chief Black Kettle Are these war spoils of a Cheyenne chief?
- Techniques Preservation Learn how to preserve papers, books, photographs and textiles.
- Techniques Case File: My Indiana Home Finding out more about your home.
- Techniques Building Background - Checklist A printable 'To Do' list to use when investigating buildings
- Investigations Motown Amp Did this amp boom the bass line of the Motown sound?
- Investigations Jefferson Pledge Did the transformation of the nation's public education system begin with this $200 pledge?
- Techniques Stones And Minerals - Checklist Printable checklist to use when studying stones and minerals.
- Investigations War Dog letter The military put great effort into a new War Dogs program during WWII. What went wrong on Cat Island?
- Techniques Very Old Objects - Checklist Printable checklist to use when examining very old objects.
- Investigations Marion Carpenter Camera What might this battered camera reveal about a photographer who changed the image of a U.S president?
- Techniques Stones And Minerals How to study stones and minerals.
- Investigations Prison Plaque Were convicted felons responsible for bringing peace to Western Europe during World War I?
- Investigations Quaker Map Did this faded map once guide slaves to freedom on the underground railroad?