The History Detectives have traveled the length and breadth of the country, delving into family legends, local folklore and stories behind potentially extraordinary objects in everyday American homes, cities and small towns.
Browse the investigations on the map and see what we've revealed in your area.
- Techniques Case File: Hidden Meanings Finding out more about the author of a diary.
- Investigations Beatles Autographs Are these genuine Beatles signatures?
- Investigations PsychoPhone Did Thomas Edison make a machine to unlock the secrets of the dead?
- Techniques Historical Research - Checklist Printable checklist to use when doing historical research.
- Techniques Case File: A Soldier's Fortune Find out how this historian used archives when investigating his family's history.
- Techniques Case File: WWII Find out how this historian researched a relative.
- Techniques Case File: Mystery Moran How to know if unwanted 'junk' is a hidden treasure.
- Investigations Chandler Tintype How did this Civil War era tintype help re-ignite a fiery debate about African Americans bearing arms for the confederacy?
- Investigations Pretty Boy Floyd's Gun Did this vintage Colt handgun belong to the outlaw Charles "Pretty Boy" Floyd?
- Investigations U.S.S Indianapolis Are these WWII souvenirs remnants from one of Japan’s famous kamikaze attacks?
- Investigations Lafayette China Did the Marquis de Lafayette give this china set to the popular wife of the Patriot Mayor?
- Techniques Printed Items Learn how to analyze printed documents.
- Investigations Empire State Building Plane Crash Piece Does this piece of metal belong to the plane that crashed into the Empire State Building?
- Investigations Harley Davidson Motorcycle Did this motorcycle see action in World War I?
- Techniques African-American Genealogy
- Investigations Drone Propellor Could this propellor have powered a top secret weapon that transformed modern warfare?
- Techniques Photographs - Checklist Printable checklist to use when analyzing photographs.
- Techniques Genealogy - Checklist A printable 'To Do' list to use when using genealogy.
- Techniques Building Background Discover more about a building's history.
- Investigations Scottsboro Boys Stamp Did a penny stamp help save the Scottsboro Boys from the electric chair?
- Techniques Photographs Learn how to analyze your photographs.
- Techniques Ballistics Collecting clues and evidence from bullets and firearms.
- Techniques Oral History Learn how to record oral or spoken history.
- Techniques Military Research - Checklist Printable checklist to use when doing military research.
- Investigations Witch's House Could this house have once belonged to a woman executed during the Salem Witch trials?
- Techniques Forensic Anthropology How to use a multi-disciplinary approach to uncover the secrets hidden in bones.
- Investigations Galvez Papers What stories do these faded legal pages reveal about a revolutionary war hero’s role in an unexpected love affair?
- Techniques Do's And Don'ts Your definitive list of do's and don'ts when carrying out historical research.
- Investigations Nesbit Portrait Is this portrait a lost masterpiece by one of America's greatest artists?
- Investigations Bootlegger's Notebook Does this book belong to a Prohibition era bootlegger?
- Techniques Geological Analysis Learn how to identify probable age and origin of ceramic, stone and tile objects
- Investigations Texas Servant Girl Murders Years before Jack the Ripper, did a serial killer walk the streets of Austin, TX?
- Investigations Lincoln Letter Does this cryptic letter reveal Abraham Lincoln's secret strategy for winning political power?
- Techniques Learning From Skeletons What we can find out from a skeleton.
- Investigations Pebble in the Sand Is this rock found on a beach a link to an ancient civilization or just another pebble in the sand?
- Investigations WWII Landing Craft Did this vessel land tanks on the beaches of France during World War II?