Support provided by:
The History Detectives have traveled the length and breadth of the country, delving into family legends, local folklore and stories behind potentially extraordinary objects in everyday American homes, cities and small towns.
Browse the investigations on the map and see what we've revealed in your local area.
- Investigations Bonnie & Clyde's Bullets Are these the bullets that ended one of the most infamous crime-sprees in American history?
- Techniques Case File: Quirky Quilts How to look after a very old quilt.
- Investigations Bill Picket Saddle Did this saddle ride into cowboy history with one of rodeo's most daring innovators?
- Investigations Japanese House How did a Japanese house come to be at the San Francisco World's Fair just months before WWII began?
- Techniques Tracking People - Checklist Printable checklist to use when tracking people.
- Investigations Japanese Balloon Bomb Is this scrap of fabric evidence of a secret wartime attack on the United States' mainland?
- Techniques DNA Analysis How to prove a person's identity.
- Investigations Liberia Letter Does this letter help to trace one freed man’s dream to return to Africa?
- Investigations Sideshow Babies Was the owner of this cup once a four-pound sideshow exhibit?
- Techniques Archives - Checklist A printable 'To Do' list to use when using archives.
- Investigations St Valentine's Day Massacre Was this weapon fired in one of the nation's most infamous crimes?
- Techniques Glossary A list of useful words and phrase for carrying out historical research.
- Investigations Woolworth Sign Were these signs part of the scene in an early victory for Civil Rights?
- Investigations Drug Smuggling Doll What does this doll reveal about disease, death and daring during the Civil War?
- Investigations Land Grant How did an African-American win freedom and land so early in American history?
- Techniques Case File: Detecting Daguerreotypes Learn more about daguerreotypes.
- Investigations McKinley Casket Flag Did this flag once drape the casket of President William McKinley?
- Investigations Marshall House Flag Did this piece of fabric come from a flag that cost a Union colonel his life?
- Techniques Case File: WWII Find out how this historian researched a relative.
- Investigations Civil War POW Photos Were these pictures made in a Civil War prison with a home-made camera?
- Techniques Written Items - Checklist Printable checklist to use when examining written items.
- Techniques Case File: Rock n' Research How to identify rocks.
- Investigations Amelia Earhart Plane Was this piece of metal ripped from one of the most famous missing planes in history?
- Investigations Ince Ledger What does this accounts ledger for a movie company have to do with the changing world of the Lakota Sioux?
- Techniques Case File: Soldiers In Skirts How to use military records to help you learn about your family.
- Techniques Gun Timeline A timeline of firearm history.
- Techniques Case File: Marriage Of Convenience How to discover things you didn't know about people.
- Techniques Ballistics Collecting clues and evidence from bullets and firearms.
- Techniques Historical Research - Checklist Printable checklist to use when doing historical research.
- Techniques Tracking People Learn how to research a person using public records.
- Techniques Appraising Getting a valuation using an independent source or expert opinion.
- Techniques Forensic Anthropology How to use a multi-disciplinary approach to uncover the secrets hidden in bones.
- Investigations Lost Gold Ship Is this wreck in Alaska the remains of a steamship carrying miners to the great Klondike Gold Rush of 1897?
- Investigations Isleton Tong Was this building a safe haven for persecuted immigrants, or a hub for organized crime?
- Investigations Lubin Photos What do these photo albums reveal about the birth of the silver screen?
- Techniques Very Old Objects - Checklist Printable checklist to use when examining very old objects.
- Submit your StoryHistory Detectives is not accepting subissions at this time.
- Latest CommentIt turns out that this collage was sold last fall: http://www.worthpoint.com/wort... I wonder if it would be possible to contact the buyer by way of the auction house about getting a print made. (9 months ago)
- Twitterremember this investigation with @TukufuZuberi @elyseluray Tonight they reunite! Let us know your thoughts! @PBS http://t.co/4KMnc27K (1 year ago)
- FacebookCongrats on your exhibit, TZ! Here's a Washington Post article about the exhibit, everyone, and the great story TZ and Elyse did on his "Our Colored Heroes" story. http://tinyurl.com/mzpuyo8 http://www.pbs.org/opb/historydetectives/investigation/our-colored-heroes/ (9 months ago)