The History Detectives have traveled the length and breadth of the country, delving into family legends, local folklore and stories behind potentially extraordinary objects in everyday American homes, cities and small towns.
Browse the investigations on the map and see what we've revealed in your area.
- Techniques Photographs - Checklist Printable checklist to use when analyzing photographs.
- Investigations Civil War Sabotage? The steamship Sultana exploded one night in 1865, killing more than 1,800 people. Was the disaster a result of Civil War sabotage?
- Investigations Pretty Boy Floyd's Gun Did this vintage Colt handgun belong to the outlaw Charles "Pretty Boy" Floyd?
- Investigations Civil War Soldier Photo Is this the photo of a Civil War soldier actually a woman in disguise?
- Techniques Case File: Quirky Quilts How to look after a very old quilt.
- Techniques Very Old Objects - Checklist Printable checklist to use when examining very old objects.
- Investigations Warner's Lighter What is the connection between Harry Warner and a studio associated with the Nazi party?
- Investigations Army Muster Roll What can a Continental Army muster roll tell us about this remarkable African-American soldier?
- Techniques Forensic Anthropology How to use a multi-disciplinary approach to uncover the secrets hidden in bones.
- Techniques Case File: A Soldier's Fortune Find out how this historian used archives when investigating his family's history.
- Techniques DNA Analysis How to prove a person's identity.
- Investigations Napolean's Sword Did Napoleon bestow this sword as a gift to a brave ancestor of a St. Martinville family?
- Investigations Liberia Letter Does this letter help to trace one freed man’s dream to return to Africa?
- Techniques Case File: 20 Questions Read this case file to help get your investigation started.
- Investigations Moon Museum Was work by major artists, including Andy Warhol, smuggled to the moon?
- Investigations Baker's Gold What role did these unusual drawings play in one of the largest mass migrations in American history?
- Investigations Pete Gray Cartoon Do these unsigned drawings from the golden age of comics tell the tale of a real life superhero?
- Techniques Historical Research - Checklist Printable checklist to use when doing historical research.
- Investigations N.E.A.R Device Was this device invented to help Americans believe they could survive a Soviet nuclear attack?
- Techniques Case File: WWII Find out how this historian researched a relative.
- Investigations Bonnie & Clyde's Bullets Are these the bullets that ended one of the most infamous crime-sprees in American history?
- Techniques Ballistics Collecting clues and evidence from bullets and firearms.
- Techniques Tracking People - Checklist Printable checklist to use when tracking people.
- Techniques Case File: Marriage Of Convenience How to discover things you didn't know about people.
- Techniques Learning From Skeletons What we can find out from a skeleton.
- Techniques Case File: Detecting Daguerreotypes Learn more about daguerreotypes.
- Investigations Theremin How did this strange instrument help spark a rock n’ roll revolution?
- Investigations Kahlil Gibran Painting Is this painting an unknown work by an immigrant poet whose words inspired an American generation?
- Techniques Printed Items Learn how to analyze printed documents.
- Techniques Military Research - Checklist Printable checklist to use when doing military research.
- Techniques Finding Experts How to source the correct expert to assist in an investigation.
- Investigations Clara Barton Letter What does this letter reveal about America's early efforts to honor its war dead?
- Investigations Early Monopoly Could this be the earliest version of the world's best-selling board game?
- Investigations GAR Photograph How did two African Americans come to be part of this photograph in Reconstructionist-era America?
- Investigations Charlie Parker's Saxophone Could this be jazz legend Charlie "Bird" Parker's saxophone?
- Techniques Analyzing Art - Checklist A printable 'To Do' list for analyzing art.