The History Detectives have traveled the length and breadth of the country, delving into family legends, local folklore and stories behind potentially extraordinary objects in everyday American homes, cities and small towns.
Browse the investigations on the map and see what we've revealed in your area.
- Investigations Calf Creek Arrow Is this arrow found in a bison skull just another hoax or an incredible archeological discovery?
- Investigations Galvez Papers What stories do these faded legal pages reveal about a revolutionary war hero’s role in an unexpected love affair?
- Investigations Theremin How did this strange instrument help spark a rock n’ roll revolution?
- Techniques Weapon Dating Determining the age of a weapon.
- Techniques Case File: My Indiana Home Finding out more about your home.
- Techniques Appraisal Glossary A List of useful words and phrases for Appraising.
- Investigations Pop Lloyd Baseball Field Why was this baseball field named after an African-American ballplayer in a time of racial tension?
- Techniques Archives - Checklist A printable 'To Do' list to use when using archives.
- Techniques Patent Analysis Find out the origin and detail surrounding an invention or innovation.
- Techniques Historical Research It's your turn to be a History Detective.
- Techniques Preservation - Checklist Printable checklist to use when preserving an item.
- Investigations Movie Palace Is this small Wisconsin town theater the country's first great movie palace?
- Investigations NC-4: First Across The Atlantic Is this piece of fabric a remnant from the first transatlantic flight?
- Techniques Forensic Anthropology How to use a multi-disciplinary approach to uncover the secrets hidden in bones.
- Investigations George Washington Miniature Did the artist paint this portrait from life, and what is its surprising connection to the abolitionist White Matlack?
- Techniques Case File: A Soldier's Fortune Find out how this historian used archives when investigating his family's history.
- Techniques Document Examination How to determine authenticity and authorship of a document.
- Techniques Stones And Minerals - Checklist Printable checklist to use when studying stones and minerals.
- Investigations Tiffany Window What can this watercolor reveal about the unexpected world of one of America’s great artists?
- Investigations Lincoln Letter Does this cryptic letter reveal Abraham Lincoln's secret strategy for winning political power?
- Investigations King Kong Camera Was this old movie camera used to film the original version of King Kong?
- Investigations Quaker Map Did this faded map once guide slaves to freedom on the underground railroad?
- Investigations Siberian Bullet What can this bullet reveal about the hidden agenda of American forces in a fight against Soviet Communism?
- Techniques Learning From Skeletons What we can find out from a skeleton.
- Techniques Printed Items Learn how to analyze printed documents.
- Techniques DNA Analysis How to prove a person's identity.
- Techniques Ballistics Collecting clues and evidence from bullets and firearms.
- Investigations Napolean's Sword Did Napoleon bestow this sword as a gift to a brave ancestor of a St. Martinville family?
- Investigations Cleveland Electric Car What happened to the electric street car network in Cleveland?
- Techniques Analyzing Art - Checklist A printable 'To Do' list for analyzing art.
- Techniques Very Old Objects - Checklist Printable checklist to use when examining very old objects.
- Investigations Bootlegger's Notebook Does this book belong to a Prohibition era bootlegger?
- Techniques Glossary A list of useful words and phrase for carrying out historical research.
- Investigations U.S.S Indianapolis Are these WWII souvenirs remnants from one of Japan’s famous kamikaze attacks?
- Investigations Revolutionary War Poem How did this poem, written by an American prisoner in England in 1780 end up in Oregon 200 years later?
- Investigations Civil War Balloon Could this piece of frayed material be from the country's first military airship?