Viewing Questions -- Video Chapter: "The Battle of the Lawyers"
After viewing Chapter 6 of Cheney's Law, respond to the following questions:
- How did the Abu Ghraib incident affect Congress in the terms of prisoner interrogation policy?
- What action did Congress take?
- What was the vice president's reaction to Congress's action? How did he justify his reaction?
- Why did the president's veto threat fail and how did the administration reconcile with Congress?
- What effect did the president's signing statement on the torture ban have on the law itself? How did the signing statement affect the balance of power between the executive branch and Congress?