by Chef Michel Nischan
Fruit doesn't always have to be used for something sweet; this savoury blackberry jam is a perfect example
- 3 pints blackberries
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and thinly sliced
- 1 small red onion, diced
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1/4 cup raw sugar
- 1 lemon, juice and zest
- Purée 2 pints of the blackberries in a blender and blend until smooth.
- Press blended blackberries through fine mesh strainer and force everything through but the seeds.
- Place the stained blackberry purée and the remaining ingredients (except remaining blackberries) in a saucepot. Bring to a simmer and cook to jam consistency (coats a spoon about 25 to 30 minutes).
- Add the remaining pint of whole berries and simmer for another 4 to 6 minutes. Remove cinnamon stick and transfer to pint jar, filling it to just a 1/4 inch below the screw threads.
- Seal immediately and turn over and let cool to room temperature. Store in the refrigerator for up to 3 months. Serve over meat or fish.
This segment appears in show #3209.
Recipe courtesy of Michel Nischan
© 2007 Michel Nischan