A salad fit for a king's gardener
Makes 6 servings
- 1 red pepper, seeded but left whole
- 1 small red barrel onion, peeled
- 1 carrot, peeled
- 3 golden beets, peeled
- 2 heirloom tomatoes, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1/4 pounds green beans (haricot vert), ends picked
- 1/4 pounds yellow snap beans, ends picked
- 5 fresh purple basil leaves
- 5 fresh green basil leaves
- 1 package salad greens or 1 head butter lettuce, leaves torn into large pieces
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Carefully slice the pepper, onion, carrot, and beets using a Japanese mandolin set to slice at 1/8-inch thickness.
- Place all ingredients into large salad bowl and toss together. Serve on chilled salad plates.
This segment appears in show #3211.
Recipe courtesy of Michel Nischan
© 2007 Michel Nischan