A hot and spicy dish that celebrates the diverse flavors of eggplants and peppers
- 1 jalapeno pepper
- 1 red cherry pepper
- 3 sweet peppers, (red, green, and purple)
- 2 cups chopped kale
- 1 large tomato
- 1 red onion
- 1 black beauty eggplant
- 1 small white Asian eggplant
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lemon, juice and zest
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Seed and julienne (about 1/8 to 1/4-inch thick) the jalapeno peppers, red cherry peppers, and sweet peppers. Slice the tomato into 1/2-inch cubes. Peel and sideways slice the red onion (about 1/4-inch thick). Using a vegetable peeler, peel lemon zest and julienne (1/8-inch thick).
- Peel and cube black beauty eggplant into large 1 1/2-inch cubes. Peel the white Asian eggplant and cut into 1 1/2-inch circles.
- In a large sauté pan over medium heat add extra virgin olive oil. Once the pan has come to temperature add the eggplant and sliced onions. Toss a few times to coat well with oil. Add the kale and season with salt and pepper. Turn heat up to medium-high and cover. Cook, checking constantly until the eggplant begins to brown about 6 to 8 minutes.
- Add peppers, tomato, lemon zest, and juice and saute for another 2 minutes. Season to taste and serve.
This segment appears in show #3203.
Recipe courtesy of Michel Nischan
© 2007 Michel Nischan
Used with permission