Fresh Flat Bread Corn Tortillas and Tomato Salsa
Flat Bread Corn Tortillas
- 2 cups masa flour
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1/2 cup oil, grape seed or corn
- 1/2 cup corn kernels, raw
- 2 teaspoons salt to taste
- Mix water, oil, and masa flour with corn kernels and 2 teaspoons salt. Mix together to make a pliable dough that does not stick to your hand.
- Divide dough into balls a little larger than a golf ball and place between two large sheets of plastic wrap. Use a large sauté pan to press the tortilla to the thickness of the corn kernels.
- Heat an iron skillet over medium heat. Drizzle a small amount of oil onto the tortilla and into the skillet. Spread it with a piece of paper towel to coat the pan evenly. Place the tortilla in the hot skillet oil side down. Cook for a couple of minutes until it begins to form air bubbles or turns lightly browned. Turn the tortilla over and finish cooking. Remove to plate and set aside.
- 4 whole tomatoes of different varieties
- 1 large cucumber, peeled, seeded, and diced
- 2 sweet peppers, seeded and diced
- 1 cup snap beans, blanched and cut into 1/4-inch pieces
- 1 small zucchini squash, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 red onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley or cilantro
- 2 tablespoons grape seed oil
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Slice the tomatoes in half and squeeze out the seeds. Chop into pieces (about 1/2 inch) and place in medium sized bowl.
- Add remaining ingredients and toss to together. Serve with flat bread corn tortillas.
This segment appears in show #3204.
Recipe courtesy of Michel Nischan
© 2007 Michel Nischan