|Warning Signs of Abuse
Is trouble coming? Look at these questions, then think about how you're being treated...and how you treat your partner in return.
Are you dating someone who...
- Embarrasses or makes fun of you in front of your friends and family?
- Puts down your accomplishments or goals?
- Makes you feel like you're unable to make decisions?
- Uses intimidation or threats to get you to agree with them?
- Tells you that you're nothing without them?
- Treats you roughly-- grabs, pushes, pinches, shoves, or hits you?
- Calls you several times a night or shows up to make sure you are where you said you'd be?
- Uses drugs or alcohol as an excuse for saying hurtful things or abusing you?
- Blames you for how they feel or act?
- Pressures you sexually for things you aren't ready for?
- Makes you feel like there "is no way out" of the relationship?
- Prevents you from doing things you want, like spending time with your friends or family?
- Tries to keep you from leaving after a fight or leaves you somewhere after a fight to "teach you a lesson?"
And what about you? Do you...
If you said "yes" to any of these, consider talking to someone. Confide in a trustworthy advisor, mentor, friend or relative. And check out the resources
411's Dating Violence section. You don't have to suffer in silence. You don't have to be trapped!
- Sometimes feel scared of how your partner will act?
- Constantly make excuses to other people for your partner's behavior?
- Believe that you can help your partner change if only you changed something about yourself?
- Try not to do anything that would cause conflict or make your partner happy?
- Feel like no matter what you do, your partner is never happy with you?
- Always do what your partner wants you to do, instead of what you want?
- Stay with your partner because you're afraid of what he or she would do if you broke up?