Harvard University details its ties to slavery and promises a reckoning
May 2, 2022
America’s oldest institution of higher education, Harvard University, is beginning to come to terms with its own history and role in slavery. The school is out with a new report detailing its extensive entanglement and legacy. Tomiko Brown-Nagin, dean of the Harvard Radcliffe Institute, joins Jeffrey Brown to discuss.
- Why have Harvard’s ties to slavery recently come to light?
- Who has written a book about Harvard’s ties to slavery?
- What are some of Harvard’s ties to slavery
- What are some of the actions Harvard has proposed to address past history with slavery?
- How else might Harvard address its former ties to slavery, according to this piece?
How do you think institutions such as universities should address their histories of benefiting from the work of slaves?
Media literacy: Who else would you want to hear from to better understand this story?