Daily VideoFebruary 26, 2021
Classroom Resource: Students reflect on their modern-day heroes
Summary: Black History Month expands students’ understanding of the Black experience in American history. But one teacher in Akron, Ohio wants her students to see that Black history isn’t something that happened in the past — it happens every single day through each of them. She worked with our Student Reporting Labs program to record these reflections from students.
- At the I Promise School in Akron, Ohio, teacher Angela Whorton asked her students to name their present-day heroes, either celebrities or people in their own lives who inspire them.
- Students named public figures like Simone Biles and also family members whom they looked up to.
Warm up questions: Have your students identify the 5Ws and an H:
- Who are some of the heroes the students in the clip name?
- What is Black History Month?
- When and where is Black History Month celebrated?
- Why did the teacher in this piece want students to explore living people as inspirations?
- How can learning about inspiring lives help students achieve their own dreams?
Then have students share with the class or through a Learning Management System (LMS).
- Who is a modern day hero of yours that you think will be looked back on as an important figure in the history of this moment?
Media literacy: How was this segment produced? Who do you think put together the video clips that were used in the piece?
Dig Deeper: Participants can read this piece on the ways students can understand their own role in history.
- NewsHour EXTRA also has dozens of resources, lessons and links to help frame conversation around Black History Month.
PBS NewsHour education stories newsletter
Updates for EXTRA’s Super Civics election teaching resources doc
Tooltip of related stories
Tooltip of more video block
Submit Your Student Voice
The National Labor Relations Board finished counting ballots last week and found Amazon union organizers in Alabama did not have nearly enough votes. Continue reading
As vaccines continue to roll out globally, wealthier nations have been inoculating their populations at a much higher rate than the global South, sparking the debate over “vaccine passports.” Continue reading
Explore how Giffords uses music to heal from traumatic brain injury. Continue reading
Learn about the testimony in the homicide trial of former Minneapolis police officer Derek Chauvin. Continue reading
Explore how two classical musicians are trying to change expectations of the genre Continue reading