Daily VideoAugust 24, 2021
Daily News Lesson: Afghan refugees face massive bureaucratic hurdles coming to U.S.
Summary: For those Afghans who braved the Taliban’s violence and desperate crowds to get to the Kabul airport, their challenges do not end when they arrive. The process for getting Afghans to the United States is full of logistical and bureaucratic challenges. Lisa Desjardins has been talking to lawmakers, NGO workers, refugees and others about those shortcomings and joins Judy Woodruff to discuss.
Warm up questions: Have your students identify the 5Ws and an H:
- Who is struggling to get visas for Afghan refugees, according to this piece?
- What are some of the bureaucratic obstacles refugees and those trying to help them are entrfacing?
- When did the pace of transportation out of Afghanistan for refugees increase?
- Where are some of the countries besides the U.S. that refugees are being relocated?
- Why is the process of obtaining a visa so difficult for many refugees?
- How has the U.S. tried to speed up the process?
- Why do you think the process of receiving a visa to come to the U.S. is so difficult, even for Afghans who have contacts like Congresspeople? What do you think could be done to make it easier?
- Can you imagine some ways your own community could help refugees resettle in the U.S.?
Media literacy: This segment includes observations from one NewsHour reporter, mostly summarizing conversations she’s had. Who else would you like to hear from to better understand the difficulties or experiences of refugees?
- For more on the difficulties Afghans face in reaching the Kabul airport and boarding a plane out of the country, see this story.
- If you would like to hear more Afghan voices to better understand the significance of the Taliban’s takeover, check out this resource from Colorín Colorado.
PBS NewsHour education stories newsletter
Updates for EXTRA’s Super Civics teaching resources doc
Tooltip of related stories
Tooltip of more video block
Submit Your Student Voice
Daily News Lesson: How fires, dry conditions are drastically increasing air pollution across California
Hear from one local reporter about why air has never been as polluted in central California as it is right now Continue reading
Daily News Lesson: Five economic terms your students should know about the global supply chain problem
What does the phrase “American supply chain” mean and and how does it affect you and your family and the economy overall? Continue reading
Hear from one young refugee on how poetry and art have helped her process trauma Continue reading
Daily News Lesson: How Trump’s disinformation campaign about 2020 presidential election spreads a dangerous message
Donald Trump in Iowa highlights grievances against Democrats with more lies about the 2020 election that he lost Continue reading
Hear from one law professor about the risk to our electoral system and how to ensure election security going forward Continue reading