Daily VideoAugust 13, 2021
Daily News Lesson: Dr. Fauci explains booster shots and the delta variant’s threat to children
Directions: Read the summary, watch the video and answer the discussion questions below. To read the transcript of the video, click here.
Summary: People who are immunocompromised didn’t gain enough immunity from their first COVID-19 vaccine shots and need a booster for full protection, explains Dr. Fauci. Fauci spoke about breakthrough infections, the delta variant’s threat to children and how the virus is changing.
Warm up questions: Have your students identify the 5Ws and an H:
- Who is Dr. Anthony Fauci?
- What is a breakthrough infection?
- What is the common misconception about the vaccine, and how does it actually work
- Why are more children becoming infected with the virus now?
- How can we start turning the tide against the evolved virus, according to Fauci?
- What is herd immunity? What does it take to achieve herd immunity, and how might we as a country work together to reach that level of safety?
- What are some ways a person who is nervous or skeptical about the COVID-19 vaccine can inform themselves about the vaccine?
Media literacy: Who else do you think could be interviewed on this topic?
In the face of the delta variant, businesses are starting to require vaccinations for employees. Find out more here.
Tooltip of related stories
Tooltip of more video block
Submit Your Student Voice
Hear from the secretary of education and discuss what can be done in your school to address student mental health Continue reading
Learn about the legacy of a man who served in the U.S. military and civilian government during crucial historic moments Continue reading
Find out why one contemporary musician pushed to make a movie out of lost concert footage from decades ago Continue reading
Daily News Lesson: How fires, dry conditions are drastically increasing air pollution across California
Hear from one local reporter about why air has never been as polluted in central California as it is right now Continue reading
Daily News Lesson: Five economic terms your students should know about the global supply chain problem
What does the phrase “American supply chain” mean and and how does it affect you and your family and the economy overall? Continue reading