Daily VideoApril 20, 2021
Daily News Lesson: Sikhs reflect on targeted attacks after FedEx shooting
Directions: Read the summary, watch the video and answer the discussion questions. Note: Teachers may want to refer to this resource by Colorín Colorado about discussing community violence with your students. A transcript of the video is available here.
Summary: In this segment, NewsHour takes a moment to remember the lives lost in the recent FedEx shooting. While we still don’t know about the suspect’s motive, half of those killed were Sikhs. The Sikh community, which has grown over many years in the Indianapolis area, is in mourning.
- Eight people were killed in a shooting at a FedEx in Indianapolis, Indiana on April 15.
- Many of those killed belonged to the Sikh community in Indianapolis. The Sikh community has been a frequent target of hate crimes in the U.S., especially in the last 20 years.
- The shooter had had a gun confiscated last year after his mother reported that she thought he might try to draw police into a shootout.
Warm up questions: Have your students identify the 5Ws and an H:
- Who is interviewed in this piece?
- Why do some see a pattern of violence against Sikhs in cases such as this one?
- What are some other examples of violence against Sikhs mentioned in this piece?
- How was the shooter able to obtain a gun after having one confiscated last year?
- Where did this shooting take place?
- Why do you think the shooter was able to legally buy a gun after having one confiscated by police just last year?
- Do you believe state or federal laws should change to make it more difficult for individuals to obtain guns after they’ve been reported as potential threats? What kind of law do you think would be best?
Media literacy: Why do you think the focus of this story is on the Sikh community and the impact of violence on that community?
- To better understand how the shooter had legal access to firearms, you can read this NewsHour story.
- You can also watch this video:
PBS NewsHour education stories newsletter
Updates for EXTRA’s Super Civics teaching resources doc
Tooltip of related stories
Tooltip of more video block
Submit Your Student Voice
Hear from two experts on what has led to violence in Israel and Palestine in recent weeks Continue reading
Discuss the approvals behind vaccinating children for COVID-19 and the decision-making behind vaccine mandates Continue reading
Explore how this scientist’s discovery of a new tool to fight tuberculosis is also helping to shatter stereotypes Continue reading
Understand what the latest jobs report says about recovery from the COVID pandemic Continue reading
President Joe Biden has given the initial nod for the U.S. to waive patent rights on COVID vaccines to boost international production. Continue reading