Daily VideoJuly 21, 2021
Daily News Lesson: West U.S. wildfires are so extreme that they’re creating lightning, fire whirls
Directions: Read the summary, watch the video and answer the discussion questions below. To view the full video and transcript, click here.
Summary: More than 80 large fires are burning in 13 states across the U.S. currently, impacting nearly 1.3 million acres. One of the worst remains in Southern Oregon — the Bootleg Fire. It has been burning for two weeks and has already scorched an area a third of the size of Rhode Island. Carrie Bilbao with the National Interagency Fire Center joins William Brangham with the latest on the fires.
- Who is Carrie Bilbao?
- What is the immediate cause of these wildfires?
- When do extreme fires at higher elevations normally happen? When are they happening now?
- Why are these particular fires more of concern?
- What is extreme fire behavior?
- Bilbao mentions that rain would help control these fires, but in a drought that doesn’t happen. What are other ways authorities can prevent and prepare for these wildfires? Can you think of any long-term ideas to help with wildfire prevention?
Media literacy: By broadcasting this story, what did the producers hope to achieve? What might the response to this piece be?
- To track the spread of wildfires in the US as Carrie Bilbao does, see this website.
- For more from PBS on wildfires and droughts, see these stories
This Daily News Lesson was written by EXTRA intern Cecilia Curran and EXTRA’s Victoria Pasquantonio. Curran is a sophomore at Amherst College.
PBS NewsHour education stories newsletter
Updates for EXTRA’s Super Civics teaching resources doc
Tooltip of related stories
Tooltip of more video block
Submit Your Student Voice
Hear from students about what return to school during the continuing pandemic has been like for them Continue reading
Daily News Lesson: Simone Biles, Aly Raisman and other gymnasts on how FBI ‘betrayed’ them, ‘enabled’ Nassar
Hear from U.S. gymnasts testify before Congress on why an FBI investigation into abuse on the team failed them Continue reading
Learn about the results of California’s recall election and why it was triggered Continue reading
Hear from one senator at the forefront of Democratic negotiations on a transformative spending bill Continue reading
Hear from educators around the country on why teaching about 9/11 is important to them — and to students Continue reading