Daily VideoJune 28, 2021
Daily News Lesson: Why the Pentagon’s latest UFO report is a turning point on the issue
Directions: Read the summary, watch the video and answer the discussion questions below. To view the full video and transcript, click here.
Summary: The U.S. intelligence released a preliminary — and watershed — report on unidentified aerial phenomena or UFOs. The report is the government’s most concerted and serious attempt to understand an issue without the fear of being ridiculed. The report found no evidence of aliens but acknowledged at least 143 unexplained sightings since 2004.
Warm up questions: Have your students identify the 5Ws and an H:
- What is a UFO? What were UFOs called in the new report?
- Why have there been issues discussing this topic previously?
- Who is Miles O’Brien and what was his experience with UFOs?
- Where and When did Miles O’Brien claim to see a UFO?
- How does this report progress the conversation on UFOs/UAPs?
- Do you think research into UFOs or UAPs is important and a good use of federal money? If so, what do you think can be learned from this research? If not, how do you think the money could be better spent on other research programs?
- Why do you think PBS NewsHour chose to focus on this story among all other important news over the past few weeks? What is the intended audience?
- To see the full report from the government, click here.
- To see the earlier pieces on this subject, see the videos below
This Daily News Lesson was written by EXTRA intern Cecilia Curran and EXTRA’s Victoria Pasquantonio. Curran is a sophomore at Amherst College.
PBS NewsHour education stories newsletter
Updates for EXTRA’s Super Civics teaching resources doc
Tooltip of related stories
Tooltip of more video block
Submit Your Student Voice
Learn about the results of California’s recall election and why it was triggered Continue reading
Hear from one senator at the forefront of Democratic negotiations on a transformative spending bill Continue reading
Hear from educators around the country on why teaching about 9/11 is important to them — and to students Continue reading
Discuss the new Biden administration vaccination and testing guidelines for federal and private employees Continue reading
Discuss the impact of 9/11 on a generation of students born after the day itself Continue reading