Daily VideoMay 26, 2017
How fake news about a DNC staffer’s murder buoyed conspiracies
- The murder of Democratic National Committee staffer Seth Rich in July 2016 has led to a conspiracy theory based on unfounded claims linking Rich to WikiLeaks.
- Rich was shot early in the morning near his Washington, D.C. home in what D.C. police believe was a botched robbery, but the case remains unsolved.
- Because Rich was a DNC staffer and the timing of his murder was shortly before a trove of emails from Democratic presidential candidate Hillary Clinton’s campaign were released by WikiLeaks, people online began making connections between the two events.
- Some supporters of President Donald Trump have attempted to use the story to discredit the ongoing investigation into Russian meddling in the 2016 election and possible collusion with the Trump campaign.
- Conservative Fox News commentator Sean Hannity has repeatedly discussed the theory on his show, even after Fox News retracted a story linking Rich’s death to Wikileaks. While he said this week he will stop talking about it “out of respect for the family’s wishes,” he also said he will not “stop doing (his) job.”
- Essential question: What is fake news and why is it harmful?
- Why is it irresponsible for Fox News to report about this story without properly vetting their sources?
- What are some examples of online conspiracies or fake news you’ve encountered that spread through misinformation?
- What can be done to stop false stories like this from spreading?
Tooltip of related stories
Tooltip of more video block
Submit Your Student Voice
Presidents Day is observed on George Washington’s birthday, Feb. 18th. In this NewsHour lesson plan, a tour guide at Washington’s Mount Vernon estate, who is also a distant relation of an enslaved person at the Virginia estate, offers his perspective about American history, slavery and the founding fathers. Continue reading
A series of historical documents sheds light on the final moments of George Washington, whose cause of death has been a mystery for hundreds of years. Continue reading
DOWNLOAD VIDEO Directions: Read the summary, watch the video and answer the discussion questions. You may…
Use this NewsHour lesson to discuss President Trump’s 2019 State of the Union address. Continue reading
Use this NewsHour lesson to learn about the racist history of blackface and discuss whether or not Gov. Ralph Northam should resign. Continue reading