Daily VideoAugust 21, 2018
Monitoring the Midterms: Should the voting age be 16?
For the latest on the 2018 midterm elections, check out NewsHour Extra’s #MonitoringTheMidterms series, a set of civics’ resources that encourage critical thinking among educators and students.
Teaching tip: To help students follow along, turn on the closed captions function marked “CC.”
Directions: Read the summary below first, then watch the video and answer the discussion questions.
Vote16DC is a coalition of youth and adults in Washington D.C. with one goal in mind: to lower the voting age to 16 in the nation’s capital. Tiffany Missembe, 16, testified at a public hearing recently in favor of changing the voting age and directs Vote16DC. Missembe says young people pay taxes, work, drive cars and are mature enough to make an informed decision in the ballot box. NewsHour’s Student Reporting Labs youth journalism program covered the event, which was picked up by Teen Vogue here. A previous NewsHour story discussed the issue in detail here.
Answer the discussion questions as a class, in your journal or with a partner.
1. Essential question: How will changing the voting age to 16 encourage more civic participation?
2. What are the main reasons given for lowering the voting age to 16? Can you think of any reasons that were not stated in this piece?
3. Do you support Vote16DC’s efforts to change the voting age to 16 in the District of Columbia? Why or why not?
4. Do you support changing the voting age to 16 in your state? Why or why not?
5. What other efforts have been made to lower the voting age to 16? If you’re not sure, how could you find out?
6. Media literacy question: The story provides various reasons why the voting age should be lowered to 16, but we don’t hear from those who support keeping it at 18. Why do you think that is the case? How could you find other voices who would like to keep 18 as the legal voting age?
Writing opportunity! If one of your students would like to write a short blog post for NewsHour Extra’s Student Voice blog stating a position on whether or not the voting age should be changed to 16, please email Victoria Pasquantonio, education editor, at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please be sure the student cc’s you in the email.
Tooltip of related stories
Tooltip of more video block
Submit Your Student Voice
Presidents Day is observed on George Washington’s birthday, Feb. 18th. In this NewsHour lesson plan, a tour guide at Washington’s Mount Vernon estate, who is also a distant relation of an enslaved person at the Virginia estate, offers his perspective about American history, slavery and the founding fathers. Continue reading
A series of historical documents sheds light on the final moments of George Washington, whose cause of death has been a mystery for hundreds of years. Continue reading
DOWNLOAD VIDEO Directions: Read the summary, watch the video and answer the discussion questions. You may…
Use this NewsHour lesson to discuss President Trump’s 2019 State of the Union address. Continue reading
Use this NewsHour lesson to learn about the racist history of blackface and discuss whether or not Gov. Ralph Northam should resign. Continue reading