Daily VideoNovember 13, 2019
STEM Current Events: How DNA testing cracks cold cases
Directions: Read the summary, watch the video above and answer the discussion questions. You can turn on the “CC” (closed-captions) function and read along with the transcript here.
Summary: Genetic genealogy, the technique millions of people are using to learn about their family history, has now become a potent tool for crime solving. But the method has major privacy implications. NewsHour’s William Brangham shares a “cautionary tale” of how one person’s DNA testing can have a wide impact.
1) Essential question: What are the benefits and drawbacks of DNA testing?
2) How can DNA testing help solve criminal cases, especially cold cases?
3) What are the privacy implications of DNA testing?
4) “It was a very odd moment to be looking at the name of the person I believed to be a killer, and know that I was the only person in the world who probably knew what he had done, other than himself,” CeCe Moore said. Ask your students: How would you feel in Moore’s shoes? Why did she want to get the information to law enforcement as soon as she could?
5) Do you think DNA testing should be allowed? Explain. Do you know anyone who has had DNA testing? Why did they decide to have their DNA tested? What did they find out?
6) Media literacy: Whose voices were included in this story? Was there anyone not featured who you would be interested in hearing from?
Watch the second story in the series, “A father took an at-home DNA test. His son was then falsely accused of murder,” click here. Ask your students: Should law enforcement continue to use genetic genealogy to solve cases? What privacy rules should govern the use of DNA information?
For monthly updates containing teacher resources on Election 2020, click here.
Sign up for short education highlights from the PBS NewsHour here.
Tooltip of related stories
Tooltip of more video block
Submit Your Student Voice
Learn who the census counts and what the Trump administration is seeking to change/ Continue reading
With only enough initial vaccine for a small fraction of the population, who gets it and who decides that? Continue reading
How one beloved artist gives back Continue reading
Discuss why many Americans are struggling this holiday season and how 2021 might be different Continue reading
DOWNLOAD VIDEO Directions: Read the summary, watch the video and answer the discussion questions. Have…