Our contributor inherited a peculiar object from his father: a jerry-rigged ski boot with a magnetic metal brick bolted to the bottom.
In the 1960s, his father worked as an engineer for Westinghouse, which played a role in the space program.
Could this be the prototype for a NASA space boot? The magnet seems to have several layers and wires weaving throughout. The heel of the boot contains a plug.
History Detectives finds out what place this boot has in space history.
- Also in Season 8 Special Agent Five How did this tale of robbery and murder help FBI director J. Edgar Hoover consolidate his power?
- Also in Season 8 Bartlett Sketchbook Does a leather bound sketchbook hold the key to some of the US' most significant history?
- Also in Season 8 Universal Friends What can this 200-year-old document reveal about the first American-born woman to lead a religious movement?
- Also in Vietnam Era: 1960-1980 Hot Town Poster What role did this striking poster play in the explosive events of 1960s America?
- Also with Elyse Luray Our Colored Heroes Is this a WWI recruitment poster... or something else?
- Also with Elyse Luray Boarding House Flag Did this flag once save a boarding house from being burned down at the height of the Civil War?
This is a place for opinions, comments, questions and discussion; a place where viewers of History Detectives can express their points of view and connect with others who value history. We ask that posters be polite and respectful of all opinions. History Detectives reserves the right to delete comments that don’t conform to this conduct. We will not respond to every post, but will do our best to answer specific questions, or address an error.