Our contributor inherited a peculiar object from his father: a jerry-rigged ski boot with a magnetic metal brick bolted to the bottom.
In the 1960s, his father worked as an engineer for Westinghouse, which played a role in the space program.
Could this be the prototype for a NASA space boot? The magnet seems to have several layers and wires weaving throughout. The heel of the boot contains a plug.
History Detectives finds out what place this boot has in space history.
- Also with Elyse Luray Birth Control Box Could this unusual wooden box be an early contraceptive device?
- Related Investigation Sideshow Babies Was the owner of this cup once a four-pound sideshow exhibit?
- Also with Elyse Luray King Kong Camera Was this old movie camera used to film the original version of King Kong?
- Also with Elyse Luray Josh White Guitar What role did this guitar play in the transformation of the music industry in the 1960's?
- Also in Season 8 Lost City of Gold What can these carved letters reveal about the first explorers to visit the American Southwest?
- Also in Season 8 St Valentine's Day Massacre Was this weapon fired in one of the nation's most infamous crimes?
This is a place for opinions, comments, questions and discussion; a place where viewers of History Detectives can express their points of view and connect with others who value history. We ask that posters be polite and respectful of all opinions. History Detectives reserves the right to delete comments that don’t conform to this conduct. We will not respond to every post, but will do our best to answer specific questions, or address an error.