Stem cell therapies remain few and far between, but the versatile tissues are transforming how we understand disease. NOVA Next contributor Carrie Arnoldreports the story.
In other news from NOVA and around the web:
- The answer to virtual reality’s biggest pitfall may be right in front of our noses.
- Scientists have sequenced the genomes of 2,636 Icelanders—the largest collection ever analyzed in a single human population.
- The rate of Antarctic shelf shrinking has increased by 70 percent over the past decade.
- Angelina Jolie revealed in the The New York Times her decision to remove her ovaries and fallopian tubes. Her choice will result in early onset menopause—but for some women, there may be other options .
- When it comes to clean drinking water, silver is a wonder material .