Astrophysicists are pushing cosmological theories to their limits to shed light on the universe’s mysterious dark age. NOVA Next contributor Marcus Wooreports the story.
In other news:
- Folklore suggests there may have been several Viking settlements in North America . Now, science might just prove it.
- Vitamin D may help hearts grow stronger.
- A string of supernovae may have caused Earth’s recent ice ages .
- “Reverse photosynthesis” could radically accelerate biofuel production .
What We’re Reading
- This disease robs you of language but keeps your mind intact. [The Atlantic]
- Here’s how Google plans to solve artificial intelligence . [MIT Tech Review]
- Mathematicians have been studying sphere packings since at least 1611. Now, they’ve uncovered proof of a special sphere-packing feature in the 8th dimension. [Wired]
- The future of technology might be hiding on the ocean floor. [Gizmodo]
- Minimum wage hikes could lead to a huge boost in automation . [Vox]
- Scientists have discovered a supermassive black hole that may be the biggest ever spotted. [NPR]