In the far future, will astronomers be able to deduce the origins of the universe? NOVA Next contributor Sarah Scolesreports the story.
In other news:
- A wave of mental illness could be triggered by Zika.
- Contact lenses are great … but if you’re not careful they can cause blindness.
- More candidates don’t produce better leaders— at least, for pigeons .
- New 3D bioprinter uses living cells as “ink.”
What We’re Reading
- Also known by its Latin name Panicum effusum , “hairy panic” is invading Australian homes. [BBC News]
- These hackers are asking a hospital to hand over $3.4 million in bitcoin in exchange for restoring the hospital’s computers. [Mic]
- Speaking a second language could make you less fluent in your native language. Of course, that’s not a reason not to learn. [Wired]
- For many people, the amount of acid in their digestive systems surges when they stop taking PPIs. [NPR]
- More American teenagers than ever are reaching world-class heights in math . [The Atlantic]