As you begin the new school year, you might like to know what other teachers are using in their classrooms. The following are NOVA Education’s 10 most popular teacher guides. They cover everything from dogs and fish to DNA and the miracle of life. You too might want to try them out!
Listed in order of popularity:
- Create a DNA Fingerprint — Create a DNA fingerprint and then compare it to the fingerprint of seven suspects to nab a perpetrator.
- Dogs and More Dogs — Learn through an evolution card game how selective pressures can affect an organism’s evolution.
- Treasures of the Great Barrier Reef — Classify fish based on their different characteristics.
- Cracking the Code of Life — Explore the process involved in sequencing the human genome by decoding simulated nucleic acid sequences.
- Super Bridge — Explore compression, tension, and torsion by constructing a spaghetti bridge that can hold a coffee-can-and-cardboard roadbed.
- The Missing Link — Collect, analyze, and interpret information about objects in order to classify them in a cladogram.
- Dying to Be Thin — Collect and analyze data about how healthy people are portrayed in the media. Use data to learn more about healthy lifestyles.
- Secrets of Lost Empires: II Pharaoh ‘ s Obelisk — Discover how levers work by raising a brick with shish kebab skewers.
- Life ‘ s Greatest Miracle — Identify the effects of maternal consumption of alcohol at various stages of pregnancy.
- World in the Balance — Calculate how long it takes a country’s population to double in size and investigate factors affecting growth rate.
What do you think? Have you used one of these resources before in your classroom? Or are we missing your favorite resource? Let us know!