Using evolution as a guide, developmental biologists have built an organism using nothing but computer code. NOVA Next contributor Cynthia Graberreports the story.
In other news:
- Here’s a 360˚ view fit for a pharaoh .
- Newly developed “wakefield acceleration” could pave the way for desktop particle accelerators .
- NASA’s Juno spacecraft nails Jupiter orbit in advance of 20 months of exploration.
- Janet Iwasa is a molecular biologist who creates films that animate other biologists’ ideas .
What We’re Reading
- Neil deGrasse Tyson said last week that society should be governed by science alone . [New Scientist]
- A pilot captures this crazy thunderstorm photo over the Pacific Ocean. [Washington Post]
- Listen to the sound of Juno crossing into Jupiter’s magnetic field. [The Verge]
- Leading experts are saying that GMO opponents stand in the way of better nutrition for people worldwide. [The New York Times]
- In 50 years, the inhabitants of Tangier Island could become some of the first climate-change refugees in the continental U.S. [The New York Times]