What color is Aladdin's vest? Purple, you say? Maybe it's time to get out the video and watch it a little more closely. Is his vest the same color in every scene? What's going on here? Try this activity and find out.
Curious for an answer? Look Behind the Scenes.
- You will need: an empty glass jar ( like a mayonnaise jar), 2 cups water, 1 tablespoon milk, a flashlight, a piece of white paper, and a colorful object or toy.
- Pour the water into the jar. Prop up the white paper so that you can shine the flashlight through the water onto the paper. Test it out with plain water first. What color is on the paper?
- Dribble some milk into the water, testing the color of the light as you go. How does the color of the beam on the paper change as you add more milk? Why do you think this happens?
- Imagine that your flashlight is the sun. How might this change in the sunlight affect what Aladdin's vest looks like?
- Walk outside during the day and look around you. What colors do the objects appear? Then go back outside and look around you during a sunset. Does the color of objects around you appear any different than during the day?
- Bring a colorful object outside with you at sunset. Compare its color under the bright lights inside to its color when you're outside. How does the color differ?
- If you were a computer animator, how would you change the colors in a scene that takes place while the sun is setting?
Special Effects Home | All About Special Effects
Theater Release Dates | Behind the Scenes
NOVA Home | WGBH Home | PBS Home
Search | Feedback | Shop
© 1996 WGBH