» Viewing Lesson Plan
Student Viewing Activity:
The Invasion of Iraq
» Lesson Objectives:
In this lesson, students will:
- Watch the documentary "The Invasion of Iraq" and answer questions about its content
- Practice critical thinking skills as they view the film and take notes
- Evaluate the actions, motivations and results for the group they are assigned to monitor
» Materials Needed:
- The film "The Invasion of Iraq"
- A copy of the Student Viewing Guide for each student
» Time Needed:
Students will need two hours to view the documentary.
- Tell students that they will be watching a documentary that examines the successes and failures of the U.S. invasion of Iraq and that they will each be watching from the point of view of an assigned group. Divide the class into the following four groups:
- British ground troops
- U.S. ground troops
- Iraqi ground troops and leaders
- U.S. political and military leaders
- Hand out the Student Viewing Guide Part 1 and instruct students to take notes during viewing. Also hand out Student Viewing Guide Part 2 and instruct students to answer the questions in their assigned group after viewing the film. Afterwards, each group should present a summary statement to the class analyzing its impact in the invasion of Iraq.
» Method of Assessment:
Students should be prepared to submit their notes from the viewing guide and summary statements.