1. Which of the following jazz greats did Brubeck write a musical tribute to?
a. Dizzy Gillespie
2. True or false - Dave Brubeck was the first jazz musician to grace the cover of Time magazine?
3.Brubeck has written music for a variety of performances and venues. Which of the following is NOT among Brubeck's compositions?
a. Choral mass
4. Brubeck didn't always dream of becoming a jazzman. Before becoming a music major, he pursued a degree in:
a. veterinary medicine
5.In the early days of his career, when money was tight, Brubeck helped to make ends meet by:
a. painting housesB
b. shining shoes
6. Which of the following was NOT a member of the classic quartet:
a. Joe Morello
7. Brubeck suffered a nearly fatal injury during a swimming accident in:
a. The Bahamas
8. Which of Brubeck's sons recently toured and performed with rocker Sheryl Crow?
a. Darius Brubeck
9. Although he now resides in Wilton, CT, Brubeck is a native:
10. Brubeck's song "In Your Own Sweet Way" is a tribute to:
a. His wife
1. d - Duke Ellington. Brubeck wrote "The Duke" in 1959 in honor of Duke Ellington
2. b - False. Louis Armstrong was featured on the cover of Time before Brubeck.
3. c - Opera. Brubeck wrote music for the Murray Lewis Dance Troupe ballet "Glances", a choral mass called "A Light in the Wilderness" and music intended for a musical called "The Real Ambassadors" (the show never made it to the stage)
4. c - Veterinary Medicine. Brubeck started out in veterinary medicine and intended to join his father as manager of a cattle ranch.
5. a - Selling Sandwiches. at one point, things got so bad for Brubeck financially that he took up selling sandwiches in office buildings.
6. b - Gerry Mulligan. Mulligan played with Dave on and off throughout his career, but was not a member of the classic quartet.
7. d- Hawaii. Brubeck was with his children at the beach when he dove into a sandbar and almost broke his neck.
8. c - Matthew Brubeck. Matthew played cello on Crow's last tour.
9. b - Californian. Brubeck was born in Concord, CA and raised in Ione, CA.
10. a - His Wife. "In Your Own Sweet Way" is a tribute to Brubeck's wife, Iola.