South Georgia Island is so remote, few people
even know it exists. Even fewer have visited the beautiful but blistering
cold island. Find out how well you'd fit in at this faraway arctic paradise
- take this trivia challenge!
1. Which type of non-indigenous animal was
introduced to South Georgia earlier this century?
A. Elephant seal
C. Macaroni penguin
D. Wandering albatross
2. Which of the following amenities can be
found on South Georgia?
C. Radio station
D. Telephone station
3. What type of growth cannot be found on
4. South Georgia is slightly larger than
which state in the U.S.?
A. Rhode Island
5. Elephant seals spend what percentage of
their lives underwater?
6. How many glaciers are on South Georgia?
7. During what month each year do maraconi
penguins arrive to breed?
8. What is the wingspan of a wandering albatross?
A. 8 feet
B. Over 10 feet
C. 5 feet
D. Under 3 feet
9. What percentage of the world's southern
fur seals visit South Georgia each summer?
10. South Georgia is how many miles north
of the continent Antarctica?
11. How many females are in the breeding
harem of a bull elephant seal?
B. Under 20
D. Up to 100
12. What is the highest peak on the island?
A. Mount Paget
B. Nordenskjold Peak
C. Mount Carse
D. Mount Sugartop
13. What is the lifespan of a wandering albatross?
A. 10 years
B. 30 years
C. 50 years
D. 80 years
14. What is unique about the courtship of
the sooty albatross?
A. Shrill hissing
B. Synchronized aerial dance
C. Lengthy fighting
D. Never leave nest