- Doc Memo: Remembering Bill Cunningham, Josh Fox on the Impacts of Climate Change
POV's daily list of essential reading for the documentary and independent filmmaking community.
- Sebastian Junger's Documentary Korengal Is “For the Soldiers”
Journalist/filmmaker Sebastian Junger talks to Tom Roston about Bowe Bergdahl, Hollywood's depiction of war and revisiting the footage made with his Restrepo co-director Tim Hetherington.
- Watch the POV Documentary 'Armadillo' Online Starting November 9, 2013 (For Free!)
Armadillo is available for streaming free on POV from November 9, 2013 through December 8, 2013.
- Sundance 2013: Which Way is the Front Line From Here? The Life and Time of Tim Hetherington
Which Way is the Front Line From Here? The Life and Time of Tim Hetherington (dir. Sebastian Junger) To kick off the Sundance Festival, I wrote about must-see documentary, Fire in the Blood, which is playing there. It is a documentary that needs to be seen because it addresses a crisis—the dying of millions of […]
- Emmy 2012: Watch the Award-Winning POV Films – Free!
Looking to watch some of the best documentaries from the past year? For a limited time, we're streaming the four documentaries that won 2012 Emmy Awards, including Best Documentary Last Train Home.
- Emmy 2012: Watch Best Documentary Emmy Nominee 'Armadillo'
For six months, often while under fire, Janus Metz and cameraman Lars Skree captured the lives of young soldiers fighting the Taliban in a hostile and confusing environment. Watch now!
- Emmy 2012: Watch Four Best Documentary Nominees Now Streaming on POV!
Good news doc lovers! POV is pleased to announce streaming of many of its documentaries up for Emmy awards this year, including the four POV films that are up for Best Documentary!
- Viewers' Revelatory Reactions to 'Where Soldiers Come From'
A selection of comments about our most recent broadcast.
- Critical Acclaim for 'Where Soldiers Come From' – Airs 11/10 on PBS
Read what critics have to say about the POV documentary Where Soldiers Come From. Watch it now for free on the PBS mobile app, or tune in to its U.S. broadcast premiere on PBS this Thursday (Nov. 10, 2011).
- Next on POV: 'Where Soldiers Come From'
POV's 2011 season on PBS concludes Thursday, November 10, 2011, with the U.S. broadcast premiere of Where Soldiers Come From, a compelling documentary following childhood friends from Michigan to the battlefield of Afghanistan and back.
- Upcoming POV Community Screenings
With its PBS broadcast just around the corner, POV community partners across the country are presenting special sneak-preview screenings of Where Soldiers Come From.
- Director Danfung Dennis on 'Hell and Back Again'
Danfung Dennis talks to blogger Adam Schartoff about how a documentary about combat in Afghanistan became a documentary about coming home from war, making the transition from photojournalist to filmmaker, and the impact of Tim Hetherington's death.
- Journalist Matthieu Aikins Responds to 'Armadillo'
Matthieu Aikins is a journalist whose writing on Afghanistan has appeared in Harper's, the Guardian, the Walrus, and other publications. He splits his time between Kabul and New York.
- What Critics Are Saying About 'Armadillo' – Watch It Tonight!
The critics are buzzing about Armadillo, the Danish war documentary that sparked controversy about the war in Afghanistan in its home country.
- Doc Soup: What 'Armadillo,' 'The Tillman Story' and 'Restrepo' Teach Us
POV's Doc Soup Man, Tom Roston, revisits three recent documentaries about war.
- Next on POV: 'Armadillo'
POV's 24th season on PBS continues Tuesday, August 30, 2011, with the U.S. broadcast premiere of the Cannes Critics' Week Grand Prix winner Armadillo, one of the most dramatic and candid accounts of combat to come out of Afghanistan.
- Doc Soup: 'The Tillman Story'
I’m back! I’ve been out of commission the last few weeks, because there’s a new baby in the Soup Man’s kitchen, and, well, new babies can be very demanding. But I had to take off my baby-bottle goggles to tell you about a great documentary that’s coming out this Friday, August 20. Pat Tillman, left, […]
- The Way We Get By – An Update from the Filmmaker
The Way We Get By first aired on POV in 2009 to great acclaim. It will rebroadcast on select PBS stations (check your local listings) on Tuesday, August 3rd, 2010. The film has also been nominated for a News and Documentary Emmy Award! We emailed filmmaker Aron Gaudet to catch up on all things The […]