- Doc Memo: Political Scandal in 'Weiner', 2016 Docaviv Festival Winners
POV's daily list of essential reading for the documentary and independent filmmaking community.
- Teaching Op-Docs: Helpful Resources
Some key resources, both online and in print, that helped develop materials for The New York Times Op-Docs curriculum.
- Announcing the POV Hackathon 9 Participants' Choice Award Winners…
In Your Own Words: Understanding The Troubles wins the POV Hackathon 9 Participants' Choice Award -- voted on by all team members at Chicago Innovation Exchange on August 16, 2015. See all the projects and prototypes, coming soon to the POV Blog.
- Justine Nagan Appointed Executive Director/Executive Producer of American Documentary | POV
Justine Nagan has been named executive director of American Documentary, Inc. (AmDoc) and executive producer of POV (Point of View), its award-winning documentary series on PBS, the AmDoc board of directors announced today.
- Watching Kartemquin Films
Kartemquin Films has a strong Chicago connection, and many of its documentaries are about the city and its people in some way.
- Listening Tour Kicks Off in San Francisco: A Report
A report back from "Independent Film on PBS: A National Listening Tour" in partnership with ITVS, POV, Independent Lens, and WNET from San Francisco. The next event will be on February 23, 2015 in New York City.
- Sundance 2014: StoryCorps Dispatches from Park City
StoryCorps dispatches from the 2014 Sundance Film Festival on all things animation & documentary.
- “Propaganda” Is the Wrong Word to Describe Kartemquin Films
Heather McIntosh weighs in on the denying of of Kartemquin's tax exemption because of the claims of its "making a selling of propaganda DVDs."
- Now Available for Streaming: In the Family
'In the Family' will be available for free streaming on the POV website from April 15, 2013 through May 15, 2013.
- A Visit to Kartemquin Films: Uncovering a Documentary Technology Trove
Some of the older filmmaking technologies in use and in storage at Kartemquin represent important markers in documentary production history.
- A Visit to Kartemquin Films: An Inside Look at a Corner Documentary Production Studio
This post is the first in a series about my visit to the documentary production powerhouse Kartemquin Films.
- Doc U: The Future of Docs on PBS
Simon Kilmurry, Executive Producer of American Documentary | POV, will be participating in the "Doc U: The Future of Docs on PBS" panel hosted by the International Documentary Association (IDA) on May 10th.
- Toward a Cultural Institution Dedicated to Documentary
Heather McIntosh provides a survey of organizations whose relationship to the documentary form, or dedication to the form have helped shape and promote the genre.
- A Holiday Gift Guide for Documentary Fans and Documentarians
Watch, Make, Learn! This year give the gift of documentaries. For once, we mean it literally!
- A Conversation with Steve James, Director of 'The Interrupters'
In his new documentary The Interrupters, director Steve James tells the story of three former gang members who "interrupt" violence in urban Chicago. James discusses the film, his multi-award-winning Hoop Dreams and what he's learned from following film subjects over years.