- POV's 'Last Men in Aleppo' Receives Historic Academy Award® Nomination for Best Documentary Feature
First Syrian feature film to be nominated for an Academy Award.
- A TV Film or a Film on TV: 'O.J. Simpson: Made in America' Puts the Divide in Doubt
Is categorizing a documentary a meaningless endeavor in the first place?
- Doc Apocalypse? Michael Moore and Documentary Box Office Success
Tom Roston sits down with Michael Moore to talk Oscars and documentary box office success.
- Oscar 2015: What the Documentary Winners Said (Or Didn't)
The documentary community breathed a deep sigh of relief last night when Laura Poitras won the Oscar for Best Documentary Feature, but her speech was a missed opportunity.
- Oscar Predictions 2015: And the Winner Will Be…
Tom Roston considers this year's Best Documentary Oscar contenders with his tried-and-true method for predicting which film will win.
- Oscar Predictions 2015: And the nominees are…
Doc Soup Man reflects on his Oscar nomination predictions -- after finding out he got only 60 percent right -- and checks in with two nominated filmmakers.
- Oscar Predictions 2015: And the nominees will be…
Doc Soup Man is not one to shy away from predictions. His thoughts on which documentaries will be nominated for the Oscars in 2015.
- The Best Documentaries of 2014
What's the best documentary of 2014? We're tracking festivals, critics, blogs, award shows and more to determine the top docs of the year.
- With 'Life Itself,' Steve James Has Earned the Right to Oscar
He's already been robbed of one. After decades of making documentaries, Steve James has earned the right to be recognized with an Oscar.
- Documentary Filmmakers Debate One of Their Own
Filmmakers are arguing over The Act of Killing -- Is it brilliant storytelling or irresponsible filmmaking? -- but there's more going on here.
- The Oscars: Doc Soup Man's Predictions for Best Documentary
Five documentaries are vying for an Academy Award this Sunday. Doc Soup Man Tom Roston picks the one that could win, and why.
- When Will the Women of the Documentary World Get Their Due?
Of the Oscar-nominated documentaries this year, only one is directed by a woman (Jehane Noujaim, of The Square).
- Impressions on the 2014 Oscar Best Documentary Nominees and Snubs
Doc Soup Man Tom Roston gives his impressions on today's Best Documentary Academy Award Nominations and snubs
- Predicting the Oscars' Best Documentary Nominees
Doc Soup Man Tom Roston predicts this year's Oscar nominations for Best Documentary. He's been on target before... will he get it right again?
- An Open Letter to the Hollywood Foreign Press Association to Include Documentaries in the Golden Globes
Doc Soup Man Tom Roston encourages the Hollywood Foreign Press Association to consider why they should include a documentary category in their annual Golden Globe Awards.
- Oscar 2013: Can Anything Overtake Sugar Man?
It’s as close to a lock on the Oscar winner as we’ve had in years. Everyone else is saying that 'Searching for Sugar Man' will win, so, just for the sake of keeping things lively, Tom Roston gives the race a second thought.
- The Infamous Oscar Speech Heard Around the World
"I’m not saying we owe Michael Moore an apology for the way he was derided for his speech after winning the Academy Award 10 years ago, but I think we can at least acknowledge that he was right."
- The Best Documentaries of 2011 (Updated)
Nerd out to our infographic of the top documentaries of 2011, based on lists from critics, documentary festivals, industry organizations and online voting!